Skip to main content

Top Ten Books I'll Never Read

This week's Top Ten Tuesday is a freebie, so I picked an easy one for me.

1. Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy by E.L. James

I work in a bookstore and it almost makes me cry how many women buy this. I've read a page and just had to laugh at the awful writing. As for the subject matter, I'm not really sure what this means for society-are we more liberated because we can talk about this openly or more constrained because this aggressively enforces traditional gender roles? Anyway, just say no.

2. The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

I read Angels and Demons. Never again.

3. The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon

Sorry, Pynchon fans out there. I'm not doing this to myself.

4. Finnegan's Wake by James Joyce

I may actually get to Ulysses. But I will not go this far.

5. The Twilight books

I read the first chapter of the first book. Thanks to friends, students, and reviews, I know basically everything that happens and I don't need to suffer through it to make fun of it.

6. The Pretty Little Liars series

7. Anything by James Patterson

8. Why Men Love Bitches, Why Men Marry Bitches, Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man, He's Just Not That Into You, Men Are from Mars, Women Are From Venus and any other self-improvement book that enforces gender stereotypes

9. One Breath Away by Heather Gudenkauf

My mom read it recently and thought it was awful.

10. As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner

I'm just never going to finish it. I've accepted that.

*Disclaimer* I am a book snob. I admit it. I recognize that some of these books are fun and enjoyable reads for people who don't want to have to work at their reading. I do get that and I'm not judging you (too much). On the flip side, some of these are for people who like to work at their reading far more than I do. I may be a snob, but I am not up to the more esoteric offerings of twentieth century modernism. Don't judge me (too much)!

Really though, especially in terms of reading, I believe this:

To each, their own.

Comments

Fifty shades of gray: totally agree with you. I kind of laugh at people who read them and love them *ssssht, don't tell :p* because I can't see them as a real book..

Dan Brown is actually a writer I do like, but I guess that's just personal taste :) And Twilight is bad indeed.. still trying to get through Eclipse, but I'm having a hard time.

http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.nl/2012/07/top-10-tuesday-14-freebie.html
Stephen said…
People are very candid about sexuality in general these days, and I find myself repeating your question -- is it a good or bad thing that we're so comfortable chattering about something so intimate?

I read Angels and Demons, and -- yeah, I'm not surprised you'd want to give Dan Brown a wide berth after that. I remember faintly enjoying DaVinci Code, but Angels and Demons...let's just say it's one of the few books I've ever given a negative review. Most of the time if I don't like a book, I'm just unenthusiastic about it. That one I ripped into for fun.
Belle said…
Love your list! I have avoided 50 Shades too but lately have been tempted to read it purely to see what all the fuss is about.
Claudia said…
Oh, that's a fun topic.

I admit that I am addicted to snarky reviews for books I wouldn't otherwise read. Fifty Shades and Twilight are prime material for that. I didn't have to read Twilight, because I read the hilarious reviews of Mark for it. (I did end up reading the first book after that, because I was always arguing how toxic it was and it felt dishonest not to read it. But yeah, I *can't* read the rest.)

And Finnegans Wake. I want to read it, but realistically it's probably never going to happen.
Bibliophile said…
Great list!

I agree with you on numbers 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 10. Never heard of no. 9, but am willing to accept your mom's word for it being awful.

Too late for 3 - found it interesting but not all that great and was very annoyed at the I-have-written-myself-into-a-corner-and-don't-know-how-to-proceed ending.
No. 4 - already read Twilight, will not be reading the others.
Does reading the first and last chapters of Fifty Shades count as actually reading it?! I borrowed it from the local library and was so so SO glad I hadn't wasted money buying it.

Great topic and list! Though I have to admit I have read a couple on it.
Milka said…
Haha, funny list. I must admit I have read quite many of these books from the list, mainly out of curiosity - The Fifty Shades of Gray, the Twilight books and The Da Vinci Code on my teens. But then I had more time - now I am more cautious about what I read since I do not have that much time on my hands.

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...