Skip to main content

Top Ten Tuesday-Two for One!

Since I missed last week's Top Ten Tuesday , here are both lists:

Top Ten Romances I Think Would Last Outside the Book

1. Fanny and Edmund from Mansfield Park

I've always thought Fanny and Edmund are the most similar in background and temperament of all of Austen's lovers. I can see them having a very agreeable long life together.

2. Calvin and Meg from A Wrinkle in Time

This is kind of cheating, because L'Engle develops their relationship over the course of several books, and all but said Meg and Calvin were based on her and her husband.

3. Hermione and Ron from Harry Potter

The tension between Ron and Hermione is on from book one. I'll never forget the line in the fourth book where Hermione tells Ron (I'm paraphrasing), "Next time you can ask me [to the ball] first and not as a last resort!" and Ron sputters, "Well, completely...missed the point," or something to that effect, while Harry thinks Hermione had quite gotten "the point."

4. Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler from Gone With the Wind

Ok, I realize they didn't technically last in the book. But I think the passion between Scarlett and Rhett is palpable, and I think they do have the makings of a lasting relationship, if Scarlett hadn't been so unfortunately obsessed with Ashley.

5. Katniss and Peeta from The Hunger Games

The interactions between Katniss and Peeta were so real to me. Especially when you get to know them better as characters, it's evident how well the two balance each other out. Peeta is affectionate and lovable, while Katniss is wary and protective.

6. Katsa and Po from Graceling

The similarity with the names above are a little too coincidental, don't you think? Anyway. Katsa and Po were obvious right from the start. Their shared interests in fighting, integrity, and nontraditionalism make them a good match.

7. Roger and Gay from A Tangled Web

Their love story builds over the course of the book, but it's also just "one of those things floating around the clan, that often turned out to be true." Sometimes family knows you best, and the Darks and Penhallows knew Roger and Gay were meant to be.

8. Laurie and Amy from Little Women

I think they deserve each other and their relationship makes more sense than Laurie and Jo. Amy will let Laurie spoil her.

9. Elphaba and Fiyero from Wicked

Elphie and Yero are outsiders. It makes sense that that shared sense of isolation would bring them together.

10. Henry and Clare from The Time Traveler's Wife

Despite the rather outlandish circumstances, their love is the most realistic I've ever read. They may have met because of time and place, but their arguments and their relationship grows and develops in a way that makes sense on and off the page.

Top Ten Posts I Think Give You The Best Glimpse of Me

1. My Ongoing Project to Legitimize Science Fiction and Fantasy Literature

2. My Preoccupations with British Early Modern Women Writers Featuring Margaret Cavendish and Aemilia Lanyer

3. The Time I Walked 110 Kilometers Across Northwest Spain

4. Why I Am A Vegetarian

5. My Thoughts on Religion

6. My Thoughts on Feminism

7. My Relationship with Jane Austen: Why Persuasion is My Favorite, Why I Hate Emma, and How I Came To Appreciate Mansfield Park

8. Effusions Over Margaret George's Elizabeth I

9. My Internal Turmoil Over My BA in English

10. My Opinion of the Current State of the World

And this is why books are relevant-because just through reviewing books I can discuss every significant aspect of human society; past, present, and hypothetical future.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I also picked Calvin and Meg! Yours is the first list, other than my own, that I've seen them on. Had no idea they were based on L'Engle and her husband.

Elphaba and Fiyero were an interesting choice, I was quite bummed with what happened to them in the novel.

I really enjoyed your list!

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge