Skip to main content

Language and Gender in Utopian SF

For my Utopian Science Fiction class, we just finished reading Woman on the Edge of Time by Marge Piercy. We have also recently read The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin, Triton by Samuel R. Delaney, and The Female Man by Joanna Russ. The following post looks at the use of language and gender in the utopian society (Mattapoisett) in Woman on the Edge of Time and compares to the other books.

Connie, an older Mexican-American woman in a mental hospital, is the protagonist from our time (the 1960s) and Luciente is a woman from the future who is able to mentally link with her and allow her to see her time.

In class, we discussed terms having to do with feeling such as "bottomed" (sad), "feathered" (happy), and "bumped" (frustrated/angry). We observed that these terms feel more physical in nature, rather than abstract like our current terms and what this means about the difference between our society and Mattapoisett. If we accept the premise that these terms are used because that is how these emotions feel to the "mems" of Mattapoisett, I think we have a very interesting novum-language in effect.

The language in the novel mirrors the society itself, in that it both clearly evolved from our own society and has its own contained set of references or "structure of feeling." Unlike the language of Anarres, it is not an invented language and so carries older connotations. Terms like "mem" and "crit" are abbreviations of words we use. Following our own language trends, many common terms are abbreviations of longer words, like "coms" for co-mothers. However, like the feeling-words, the language also reflects the way the society has changed.

I particularly want to look at the use of "person," "per" and "pers" as pronouns. Binary gender still exists in Mattapoisett...but it has ceased to differentiate between the sexes. Neither men nor women procreate, both men and women breastfeed, nurture, defend, engage in physical labor, live on their own, and have multiple sweetfriends and handfriends. The differences are so muted that Connie at first takes Luciente for a man. "Person" is a gender-neutral term from our own language and it becomes used as a pronoun when the difference between "his" and "hers" is irrelevant.

This leads me into how the novel addresses gender differently from others we have looked at. On Triton, anyone can become the gender of their choice which means that one can escape the set of gender stereotypes one is born with, but not escape gender stereotypes altogether, as Brom discovers. In The Female Man, we encounter societies where the genders are segregated, so that each can develop without the oppression of the other. However, of all these, I prefer Mattapoisett's solution, where everyone is given the "powers" of both genders, so that gender stereotypes can be eliminated, and through inclusion rather than exclusion.

In conclusion, "pers" is my new favorite term.

Comments

OH. Pers. That's happening. That's wonderful. Just... oh.
I know, right?! Thanks Biblibio for understanding!

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...