Skip to main content

Book Review: Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri

26. Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri


Jhumpa Lahiri, whose second novel, The Lowland, will be released on September 24, received the Pulitzer Prize for this debut collection of short stories.

Reading Jhumpa Lahiri's stories is like slipping into an old nightgown or scooping up a bowl of your favorite cultural dish. The majority of her stories follow the intimate lives of Bengali families and take place in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The feeling that her stories produce in me may be somewhat unique, since one of my best friends is Bengali and I spent my college years in Boston. But no matter how foreign the trappings, I find it hard to believe that the thoughts and feelings of her characters would not elicit a sense of familiarity from any human being. The character details are almost painfully thrilling in the accuracy with which she depicts the quiet confusion of her protagonists' lives.

Yet, every time I read a Jhumpa Lahiri story, I settle into it with such feelings of comfort, joy, and sympathy, and then often find myself jerked abruptly out of the characters' lives at the end, with no sense of where they will go from here. Lahiri mimics life so accurately at times that the arc of the story seems swept under a rug, understandably abandoned, like the Christian relics left behind in her story, "The Blessed House." The reader shares in Twinkle's joy as she discovers these "treasures," left around her new home, but worries about her husband Sanjeev's strong annoyance with them. In the end, it's unclear what will happen to the objects, much less Twinkle and Sanjeev's marriage. And yet, Lahiri can be forgiven for details like this, when Sanjeev observes Twinkle's abandoned shoes, "black patent-leather mules with heels like golf tees, open toes, and slightly soiled silk labels where her soles had rested."

The titular story is not even the most interesting, it focuses on an Indian tour guide who also works as an interpreter for a physician. The central conceit does not mesh well with the storyline, and will leave the reader confused and feeling vaguely superior. The best two stories in the collection are the two with the most definitive story arcs: "A Temporary Matter" and "Sexy." The former concerns the dissolution of a marriage and the latter of an affair. "Sexy" features the only adult non-Bengali protagonist, the other non-Bengali protagonist is a small boy with a Bengali caretaker in "Mrs. Sen's." "A Temporary Matter" is the first and most touching story of the entire collection. "Sexy" teaches the most interesting lesson, wrapped up in one short quote from a Bengali child. While I won't ruin that for you, I'll leave you with a quote from an earlier scene; "Miranda went to Filene's Basement to buy herself things she thought a mistress should have...she found a cocktail dress of a slinky silvery material that matched her eyes" [Moment of Silence for Filene's Basement].

Short stories, I feel, are beginning to be more popular again, though still under the thumb of the novel. I've found them to be a great way to enjoy reading these days, as well as experience new and familiar authors. I've now read all of Lahiri's currently published oeuvre, and I'm looking forward to The Lowland, I hope I can expect the same level of character detail and intimacy with perhaps a less understated plot. And yet, there's room in this world for all kinds of writers and readers and if Lahiri sticks to the style that has done well for her, there would still be a variety of literatures in which to indulge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...