Skip to main content

Book Review: The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory

29. The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory. Narrated by Bianca Amato and Graeme Malcolm.



When I first started listening, I was afraid I had gotten the wrong tape. The description was of a young woman begging for a cross, and receiving one from a hated Englishman. She was about to be burned at the stake, and a king whom she had saved would not save her--how did I accidentally get an audio about Joan of Arc?

But it turns out that instead, Gregory uses Joan of Arc as a guiding narrative force in the life of Margaret Beaufort as she uses the water goddess Melusina as a narrative guide to Elizabeth Woodville's life in The White Queen. I found this devise less annoying, as it was evoked less often, and presented more as Margaret's imagination than a "true legend."

I personally enjoyed The Red Queen far more than I did The White Queen. Gregory's true triumph here is the character of Margaret Beaufort. There are few deviations from her narration, and these are read in a male voice, presumably a third-person narrator. Margaret Beaufort does not have the Sight-and she is far more interesting for it.

No, Margaret Beaufort has to cope with what life hands her, and it is quite shoddy. Gregory graphically, but sympathetically describes the horrors of twelve-year-old Margaret's brief marriage to Edmund Tudor and the nightmarish childbirth that brought Henry VII into the world.
Margaret, abused and abandoned as she is, clings to her belief that she is special in God's eyes and that her son will someday be king.

Some might find her character insufferable, but I find her both sympathetic and amusing. It is hard not to pity her in the beginning, and through that pity, one comes to sympathize with a woman whose belief that God supports her is so strong that she will order the murder of two innocent young boys.

Yes, the mystery of the princes in the tower is suggestively solved in this novel. Gregory proposes an intriguing conspiracy between Margaret, then Margaret Stanley, and the Duke of Buckingham, to murder the sons of Edward IV and Elizabeth Woodville. This would seem to technically absolve the primary suspects, Richard III and Henry VII, though both of these men suffer Elizabeth Woodville's curse on the firstborn son, pronounced in the The White Queen.

The two novels overlap, though The Red Queen spans a greater period of time. The little parallel moments that Gregory has placed in her books are not especially compelling and I wish she would have dispensed with them. The way she has built her Wars of the Roses universe, however, neither book is complete without the other. And both books should have their conclusion in The White Princess, featuring Elizabeth of York, the daughter of Elizabeth Woodeville and daughter-in-law of Margaret Beaufort. I notice, however, that Gregory has embellished the universe with a novel on Elizabeth Woodville's mother, The Lady of the Rivers, and one on Anne Neville, Richard III's wife and The Kingmaker's Daughter.

If you enjoy characters that are highly unaware of themselves, implacably stubborn, and improbably conniving, pick up The Red Queen, or listen to it. I could hardly wait to get to my commute to hear how Margaret would deal with her next dilemma. The historical events here are much better-known and more straightforward than in The White Queen, but the character voice will keep you thoroughly entertained.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...