Skip to main content

Top Ten Books I Read in 2014

Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Again, I switched this week's and last week's, since tonight is the last night of Hanukkah (Happy Eighth Night, y'all).


1. Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie



Obviously a Hugo award winner for a reason, Leckie is a new and exciting writer in contemporary science fiction.

2. Baba Ali and the Clockwork Djinn by Danielle Ackley-McPhail and Day Al-Mohamed




Although less widely recognized and certainly not "new," the writers' retelling of Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves is a compelling reflection on the ancient tale, and modern sensibilities.

3. The Princes in the Tower by Alison Weir



Weir's narrative voice and methodical structuring are perfect for this most troubling of historical mysteries.

4. The Lost Girls by Jennifer Baggett, Holly Corbett, and Amanda Pressner



I read this twice this year. To any young, single woman who dreams of travel, it's irresistible.

5. The Best American Travel Writing 2013, edited by Elizabeth Gilbert



Nearly every story was perfect in its own unique and true way.

6. Empress Orchid by Anchee Min



Anchee Min has a feel for characters, and for the most outlandish yet accurate metaphors.

7. Sexual Abuse, Shonda, and Concealment in Orthodox Jewish Communities by Michael Lesher



Not a book I necessarily enjoyed reading due to subject matter, but very well-written and researched.

8. Jane of Lantern Hill by L.M. Montgomery



The perfect amalgam of L.M. Montgomery's style, plot, and substance. Montgomery fans shouldn't miss it.

9. The Queen's Lover by Vanora Bennett



Inventive yet well-researched historical fiction on the woman who embodied the Tudors' claim to the throne.

10. Homeward Bound: Why Women Are Embracing the new Domesticity by Emily Matchar



Well-researched and thoughtful investigation of why so many women (and some men) have returned to the domestic arts.

11. Vampires in the Lemon Grove by Karen Russell



I'm cheating a bit, but didn't feel I could leave this off. I didn't love every story, and yet Russell's power with language transcends each and every one. My favorite was "Reeling for the Empire."

You know these are good because these are the ones I remembered, almost all off the top of my head.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...