Skip to main content

Thoughts on Ship of Fools



If you remember, I picked up a lovely hardback copy of Katherine Anne Porter's Ship of Fools at Gramp's Attic Books in Ellicott City. Recently, I got an e-mail from Open Road Integrated Media, which just put out an e-book version, and wanted to know if I'd spread the word. Consider word spread =) They have quite an appealing site, but I couldn't seem to find a search function, which was a bit of an issue. Most likely I am missing something obvious. (*edit* Search function is on the top right. Not sure how I missed it.)

Anyhoo. This brought me to start actually reading Ship of Fools. I read a synopsis and flipped through before I bought it, and I definitely wanted to support a long-lost classic from a female author in the early twentieth century. However...I feel quite complicated about it, now at roughly 180 pages into this nearly 500 page tome. It's very early twentieth century American, and it possesses the qualities that I both love and hate about early-to-mid twentieth century American literature. Frankly, I don't read a lot of it and tend to avoid it because I find a lot of it appallingly racist and sexist. I thought (judgmentally) that a lot of this was due to the books I'd read being by white male authors. Well, this particular white privileged woman has some of the same flaws--and gifts. What I do love about the prevailing style in that era is the big sweeping narrative with tons of characters and an omniscient narrator with wry insight into the characters' lives. And Porter delivers.

There are a lot of characters, but not too many that they're difficult to remember. The characters are of all different nationalities, genders, races, and religions, even, which is impressive in terms of diversity. The conceit is that they are all trapped on a ship from Mexico to Germany, and Porter examines the swath of characters typically found on this voyage. The whole thing is an explicit metaphor (stated in Porter's note at the front of the book) for us all being fools on the ship of life.

The diverse cast makes for equal opportunity slanders, at least. If an epithet exists, it's present in Ship of Fools. And I'm not saying, nor do I think that, Porter was racist and sexist. I don't know. In fact, I'd guess that by presenting such a diverse cast, she was trying to be open-minded and include many types of people. Most of her cast is non-American (albeit mostly European). But it's certain that many of her characters are racist and/or sexist, some explicitly and some more subtly. And, yes, Porter (or, rather, the narrator) presents them as flawed (they are 'fools' after all), but the presentation of Jews, Gypsies, Germans, and others is stereotyped in a way that has so far not been redeemed.

I read recently that a tip for writing diverse characters is to write them as if their difference is not their defining characteristic. Porter, unfortunately, commits this sin. It especially stuck out to me with how she writes her Jewish character. He thinks constantly of others as Gentiles and bemoans the fact that there are no other Jews on the ship. He worries constantly about unclean food. He sells Catholic paraphernalia, and yet reviles Catholics. I'm impressed by Porter's knowledge of Jewish dietary laws, but sad that she apparently can't see beyond her character's religion. Yes, ok, maybe he occasionally worries about kosher food in a way that a Christian character would not, but everything in his character is built on his religion (and stereotypes thereof) as if there is nothing else to him.

Porter has some insights that ring true, but I'm not really sure how I feel about the book overall. I think I'm still going to continue it, but I wonder: is it worth it to read a book so heavily steeped in stereotypes in this day and age? What redeeming qualities make such a book still worth reading?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Check the top right! http://www.feedyourneedtoread.com/ :)

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...