Skip to main content

Top Ten Fairytale Retellings



Happy Top Ten Tuesday! I LOVE fairy tale retellings, so this is a perfect topic for me! I haven't read as many of these in recent years though, so I look forward to recommendations from everyone's lists.

1. Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine



Ella Enchanted is my gold standard for fairytale retellings since it was my first, at least that I remember. I didn't even understand it was based on Cinderella until halfway through because the world and characters are so complete. One of my favorite books of all time, period.

2. Fairest by Gail Carson Levine



Not as magical as Ella Enchanted (to be fair, I read it when I was much older), but this retelling of Snow White set in the same world is engaging nontheless.

3. Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire



I am a huge Maguire fan, and though I don't think Wicked counts as a fairytale retelling, Ugly Stepsister certainly does! Like Wicked, Maguire transforms an antagonist into the protagonist of her own tale.

4. Cinder by Marissa Meyer



I just read Cinder, and I'm really excited about it. Even more so than Ella Enchanted, the world of Cinder takes on a life of its own, but I appreciated the clever nods to the Cinderella prototype. Looking forward to Scarlet and Cress!

5. Baba Ali and the Clockwork Djinn by Danielle Ackley-McPhail and Day Al-Mohamed



As you know, I loved this steampunk reinvention of Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves.

6. "Psyche's Dark Night" by Francesca Lia Block



It's a myth retelling, but it's from a book of reworked fairy tales (My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me). Just a really cute modern rethinking of Cupid and Psyche.

I'm familiar with more fairytale retellings, but, for example, I found a lot of the stories in My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me too violent and gruesome. I wasn't a huge fan of Maguire's Snow White retelling Mirror Mirror for similar reasons, nor of Karen Maitland's Company of Liars. Company of Liars is based on The Canterbury Tales, but has a character from the story of the swan princes.

In other media, I am a fan of Tangled, Frozen, the TV show "Once Upon a Time," and the musical "Into the Woods." Also, the Cinderella musical with Brandi and Bernadette Peters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...