Skip to main content

Reading Statistics 2015

Reading Statistics 2015

How many books read in 2015?
70.

How many books read by female authors?
45/70 or 64%.

How many books by minority authors?
17/70 or 24%.

How many books from other countries?
10.

How many translated books?
6 and a half (The half was Beirut Noir, a book of short stories, some of which were translated from either French or Arabic).

How many non-fiction books?
15.

How many short story anthologies?
4.

How many books of poetry?
4.

How many SFF books?
15.

Book Goals 2015

As you can see above, I met many of my 2015 reading (and other) goals.

Bookish and Non Bookish Goals for 2015

1. Post to the blog at least 6 times a month. -For the most part, yes! There were only four months where I made fewer than 6 posts. 

2. Read even more short stories--and do a better job of keeping track of them. Plan a "Best Short Stories" and/or "Best SFF Short Stories" post for the end of this year.-I read more short stories this year, but about equivalent or fewer than last year, and I didn't keep track for a post.



3. Read more books, stories, poems etc. by minority authors. I've done a fair job in recent years of reading more women, let's see if I can do the same for minorities/be more aware of that in my reading.-I really tried to be more aware of this, and saw this become a huge part of the bookish zeitgeist this year. Still, this only comprised 24% of my reading, so I clearly need to focus more on this in future years.



4. Read more books from other countries (sneaky way of saying "read more translated books," but this will also cover other English-speaking countries).-I finally managed to do this way more than any other year! I read 10 books from other countries, and 6 and a half books translated from other languages, which is maybe the most I've ever done in this category! I read three books translated from Spanish, one from Italian, one from Russian, one from Japanese, and one book of short stories, some of which were translated from French or Arabic.

5. Write more short stories.-I didn't write any short stories, but I wrote most of a novel during NaNoWriMo in November.

6. Submit more writing to places.-Yeah...no.

7. Read more pedagogical texts.-Definitely did this. Read so many articles and books for work. 

8. Go to more professional development classes and seminars.-Definitely did this. 

9. Read more how-to texts,i.e. learn more about computers and other life skills.-I did this too, although it didn't show up a lot on the blog because, um, who wants to hear about books on computers and finances? I did read books on writing that showed up on the blog and some more "life skills" books might be showing up. 

10. Live better-exercise more, eat healthier, relax more. -Kind of. I exercised a lot more, because of this thing!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...