Skip to main content

Challenges of Setting Up Literary Magazine Subscriptions for Success

One of my goals for this year is to read more literary magazines, but I haven't really gotten far on this yet. Since April is National Poetry Month, it's an opportune time to start, which I would like to do by subscribing to at least one literary magazine.

First, there are a few challenges to consider. One, which literary magazine to pick? I took a look at this list of the top 50 literary magazines, which is a little overwhelming! I've read issues of The Missouri Review, Ploughshares, McSweeney's, and more in the past, but I don't know that I have a clear preference (also McSweeney's does something very different from more traditional literary magazines). I also want to consider supporting the arts locally, which means I might not pick one of the "top 50" so that I can support poetry in my community.

I used to subscribe to #1 on the list above, The New Yorker, but I discontinued my subscription for a few reasons. First of all, I don't live in New York City, so a lot of the events on the first several pages were meaningless to me; interesting to look at the first few times, but finally it was just depressing that there were all these cool events I couldn't go to! Second of all, I didn't find myself connecting with a lot of the articles, poetry, or cartoons. There ended up being just one or two articles in each issue that I really cared about, and I didn't feel that was worth continuing. Third of all though, it was just too much! When I got an issue every week, they were piling up unread and felt like a huge burden. When I canceled my subscription, I gave myself permission to pick out a couple issues that looked interesting and toss the rest. I could not keep up with a weekly subscription, which brings me to another challenge with a new literary magazine subscription.

How often do I want to get a magazine? I've already established that I can't keep up with a weekly subscription, but I'm not sure I could keep up with a monthly subscription either. The only magazine I currently subscribe to, Conde Nast Traveler, comes bimonthly, and for a while, I was having trouble keeping up with those. I finally told myself that I was either going to make an effort to read every issue when it came or cancel the subscription, and while I totally thought I was going to go the latter route, I found that I have made time since then to get in my bimonthly read. (I do get other bimonthly magazines that I'm not as good with, like alumni magazines, but I didn't request or pay for those.) I think I need to pick a literary magazine that is at least bimonthly or maybe quarterly; I've looked at a few that only publish two issues a year and that looks tempting but also feels like not quite enough if I'm going to pay for it...

And, of course, a third challenge is cost. I don't have a ton of discretionary income, so subscribing to a literary magazine represents a modest splurge, and I would like to make an investment that's worthwhile both for myself and for the artistic community that I want to support. Looking at the prices though, they are more reasonable than I thought and than I remember from a couple years back (does anyone know if there's been a change?). A couple of more local literary journals, Little Patuxent Review and The Potomac Review are each $24 a year for two issues. Ploughshares is $35 a year for three print issues or $20 for a digital subscription, which is an option with my new ereader. The Missouri Review is $30 for four print issues or $24 for four digital issues. Digital looks like the best deal, but do I want to hold it in my hands or save the space/stress of copies piling up...

I am setting myself the goal of subscribing to at least one literary magazine in April, so I will have to make a decision by the end of the month.

Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions? What literary magazines do you subscribe to and why (or why not?)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...