Skip to main content

Bookish (And Not So Bookish) Thoughts

Usually hosted at Bookishly Boisterous, who is vacationing this week instead!

Janeway and Picard, Space Station Mir
1. Insurance forms are such a pain, and it annoys the hell out of me because I'm pretty sure it's on purpose. But, really,why shouldn't you want me to pay you for something I will probably not need or at least not anytime soon? Seriously. Also, I resent that our society has created this need.

2. On a happier note, we adopted another dog! His name is Picard, and he and Janeway are already best friends.

3. For the Fourth of July, I made apple and apricot hand pies with the recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction.  I was pleased with how they turned out, especially the crust, and I will definitely be using the crust again for full-size pies!

4. I recently finished reading Tara Westover's memoir, Educated, about growing up in rural Idaho with a survivalist Mormon family, and--Wow. The writing is phenomenal, and her childhood is fascinating. It's even more weird to me because she's only a few years older than I am and we grew up in the same country, speaking the same language, but other than that, we may as well have been on different planets. When I was, say, seven, her life would have read to me like a historical fiction novel about pioneers. I do relate, though, to the complications of family and forging your own path against a cultural backdrop that may not align with your opinions as a grown person. She does a beautiful job of describing without too much judgment while expressing a clear message that it is entirely possible to grow up and be different from your family's expectations. She writes: "Life is not a thing unalterable."

5. I'm almost finished listening to Judy Blume's In the Unlikely Event and, woof, I did not expect such an emotional wallop.  This book pulls NO punches.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...