Skip to main content

October Wrap-Up

I've been too busy for pretty much everything, except reading, so here's my late October wrap-up!

Books I Read in October
Except for the first book, there is a Jewish/fairytale/winter theme that happened organically (a.k.a. what new books were on display at the library).

1. This Is the Story of a Happy Marriage by Ann Patchett 
2. Fierce Fairytales: Poems and Stories to Stir Your Soul by Nikita Gill
3. Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik
4. The Weight of Ink by Rachel Kadish
5. The Sisters of the Winter Wood by Rena Rossner

Top 2 Books I Read in October (Look at me getting selective!)

Every single book listed above is fabulous, and I would highly recommend each. That said, there were two standouts for me personally this month.



1. Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik

 This one was recommended by a friend--and, wow. It may have hit me so powerfully because it was not at all what I was expecting, and I think your mileage may vary, but this was definitely the right book at the right time for me. As I wrote, it's not Rumpelstiltskin retold, it's Rumplestiltskin unspun, and retold in an Eastern European Jewish, but also still totally magical fantasy, context. It's not perfect, but it is an entertaining and thoughtful read for a winter's night.




2. The Weight of Ink by Rachel Kadish

I should pick up books without foreknowledge more often! When I saw this at the library, I picked it up because I thought it was If All the Seas Were Ink by Ilana Kurshan (still haven't read it). Therefore, I was quite surprised to open a work of nonfiction about a woman reading through the Talmud, to discover a work of fiction about a professor unearthing documents from a Portuguese Jewish community in 17th century England. Although this book speaks to my particular interests in Judaism and early modern England, I think anyone who enjoys literature and history will find this a treat. Furthermore, I currently avoid reading books with multiple timelines since I usually like one timeline more than the other, usually the historical, and wish the book would just stick with that one. However, The Weight of Ink has two distinct timelines, each with its own protagonist(s), and...I loved both. Well worth a read.

5 Posts in October

1. September Wrap-Up

In my second official wrap-up, I read even more books than the first!

2. October Goals

I made some reading, baking, and writing goals in October.

3. What I'm Reading

I enjoyed Ann Patchett's collection This Is the Story of a Happy Marriage and DNF'd The Other Alcott. 

4. Library Haul

I had to share my gorgeous winter fairytale library haul!

5. Mini Book Review: Spinning Silver

I loved this book so much, I wanted to review it in a little more detail!

Favorite Post This Month

My review of Spinning Silver, mostly just because of how much I liked the book and want other people to read it!

3 Things I Baked This Month

1. I saw this applesauce cake on Smitten Kitchen and knew I had to have it--but I didn't have enough applesauce! I tried to substitute with mayonnaise, and that was a mistake. The resulting cake was way too dry. However, I made this recipe two more times with the correct amount of applesauce, except I made it as cupcakes to bring to friends and to work. They were delicious, moist, and went over very well--especially with this cream cheese frosting, which is my new go-to!

2. Candied Pecans

The second time I made the applesauce cake cupcakes, I used My Baking Addiction's recipe to make candied pecans for a decoration on top! They were delicious on and off the cupcakes!

3. Gingerbread Snacking Cake

I made gingerbread snacking cake with homemade whipped cream for my husband's birthday, and although I'm really proud of myself for making the whipped cream by hand, I don't think I would try this recipe again. It was a little too dry for us and we don't like whipped cream enough to make up for it (although homemade is so much better than the canned stuff).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...