Skip to main content

My Favorite Bookmarks

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl!

My Favorite Bookmarks

Because everyone knows that I love to read, people are always getting me bookmarks. Lovely bookmarks--Harry Potter-themed, Little Women-themed, Anne of Green Gables-themed. Bookmarks with clever quotes like "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" (C.S. Lewis) or "When I have a little money, I buy books; if I have any left over, I buy food and clothes" (Erasmus). Bookmarks that pin down the page you're on, or come with a built in booklight or even a piece of the Berlin Wall (true story). I adore all of these bookmarks.

I never use them.

It's a cliche, but it's true for me. I hoard a pristine collection of idiosyncratic bookmarks, while I use everything else around the house to hold my place in my books. Here are a few of my most commonly used favorites:

1. Post-It notes

Yellow, pink, green, white--I keep several shades of neon Post-It notes around the house, and they often end up as bookmarks.

2. Sticky flags or book flags or Post-It flags or whatever you call them

Before I knew about these, I used to rip up Post-It notes to create them. My friend bought me a beautiful set of these some years ago, and I still use them to mark my books without marring them (and to hold my place).

3. Receipts, specifically restaurant receipts

CVS or grocery store receipts are too long (at least, mine usually are), but restaurant receipts are often the perfect length to use as a bookmark, and the only bit of paper I have in my purse at any given time.

4. Mail, usually postcards or coupons

I guess I get the mail around the same time I'm likely to start or continue reading a book, so a convenient postcard often gets wedged between the pages.

What are your favorite or most commonly used bookmarks?

Comments

A bookmark with a piece of the Berlin Wall sounds super unique and interesting! But I'm right there with you and never using them, sadly. Just like you, more often than not, I use something close by, and mail is one of my favorite go-tos, because we always have it lying around whether we want it or not. xD

Here's my TTT post.
Lydia said…
Heh, I don't use traditional bookmarks either. Your list was fun!

My TTT.

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...