Skip to main content

March Wrap-Up

It's been a weird month, to say the least. At first, I was so flummoxed that I barely read anything besides my Twitter feed. More recently, I've been on a streak of reading a book a day, even spending 6-9 hours a day working and at least 8 hours sleeping, so that's felt pretty good. Even though I'm less inclined to reach for a book than Netflix after a long day of work, I always feel much better after reading than binge-watching. It's a better palate-cleanser after working on the computer all day.

Books Read This Month

  1. The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay
  2. Pretty in Plaid by Jen Lancaster
  3. Deenie by Judy Blume
  4. Kitchen Privileges by Mary Higgins Clark
  5. Where Are the Children? by Mary Higgins Clark
  6. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

Favorite Book This Month


I never would have read The Power of One if it hadn't been for one of my book clubs. It's about a boy growing up in South Africa in the 1940s, somewhat based on the life of the author. The book was published 30 years ago, and it has a problematic white savior trope, but it's still an interesting read. Peekay, the main character, has a rich psychological profile rooted in profound childhood experiences, and he is assisted in his dreams by a variety of friends who impact his life. It's interesting from a character and a historical perspective, and if you're interested in South Africa, it could be a good gateway read. I learned a lot about the South African prison system, at least at that time, boarding schools, and English/Afrikaaner relations (not good).

Comments

Judy Krueger said…
I have found myself reading more and more as the weeks drag on. It's the ideal time for the long books I am tackling this year.

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...