Skip to main content

June Wrap Up

I finished more books in June, although one of them I'd been reading for a long time and several were rereads. A lot of poetry this month.

Books Finished in June


  1. Wherever You Go, There You Are by Jon Kabat-Zinn
  2. The Art of Showing Up: How To Be There for Yourself and Other People by Rachel Wilkerson Miller
  3. You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero (reread)
  4. Blue Horses by Mary Oliver (reread)
  5. Diving Into the Wreck by Adrienne Rich (reread)
  6. Fleishman Is In Trouble by Taffy Brodesser-Akner
  7. American Sonnets for My Past and Future Assassin by Terrance Hayes

Thoughts

I've been reading Wherever You Go, There You Are since March when we first started staying home due to COVID19. At first, I strongly disagreed with Kabat-Zinn's insistence on the unimportance of spirituality in meditation (he doth protest too much), but I found the meditations and writing practices helpful, of which I did one per day over the course of several weeks. Kabat-Zinn specializes in pain management, so his practices were pretty relevant for me. Overall, a helpful, practical read for meditation.

I've already talked about how much I enjoyed The Art of Showing Up, but I'm so glad I preordered it, and it certainly came at a good time. Highly recommend for self-care and emotional intelligence. 

Blue Horses, Diving Into the Wreck, and American Sonnets for My Past and Future Assassin are all poetry collections. I'd read the first two before and reread them quickly, but this was my first complete read of American Sonnets. I heard Terrance Hayes (literally) at the National Book Festival in 2013. I was walking by, heard him reading, and went and sat down. He's a powerful reader and I really enjoyed his poetry, so I made a note of his name and planned to buy poetry from him when I could. Several years later, I bought American Sonnets and started reading, but never finished. This time, I read it completely through over a few days. It's short enough that I could have read it in one sitting, but I wanted to take time to process the poems. He's quite brilliant, and this collection touches on the unfortunately still much too relevant theme of being a Black man in America in fear for his life. Highly recommend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...