Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-Up

  • Since I don't commute anymore, my life has been largely sans audiobooks for the past seven months. Really, before that, since I switched jobs to be much closer to home. I got into audiobooks when I had a long, at least 45-minute commute, each way (sometimes one, or on a couple memorable occasions, two hours, if I was unlucky). I'd never been much into them before, but I loved them for driving. Sometimes, I'd even stay in the car for a few minutes after I got home. But I don't read audiobooks much at home. I've tried a few over the past several months, usually because that's all I could get from the library digitally when there were long waits for ebooks, before my library started offering contactless pickup. Even now, I prefer borrowing ebooks when I can. But with all the audiobooks I tried, because I needed to get the read in before a book club meeting, I would keep following asleep. And missing things. And having a hell of a time finding out where I was supposed to be whenever I woke up. The other night, though, I was having trouble sleeping, as I often do nowadays, and I thought, why not try an audiobook? I decided to listen to a book I'd already read, and that way it didn't matter when I fell asleep. That was the goal!
  • For my first shot at this project, I chose Wild by Cheryl Strayed, a book I enjoyed several years ago, am quite familiar with, and wouldn't need to worry about remembering any complicated plot or character details since it's about her hike on the Pacific Crest Trail. Wherever I found myself in the book, I could enjoy being in the moment with Strayed. I have to say, this is one of my more brilliant ideas. I'm enjoying falling asleep to the book, and though I often wake up at odd times, I can dip back in anywhere I want. I'm somewhere between halfway and three quarters through, depending what you count. Which I'm not! It all counts :-)
Currently Reading
  • Wild audiobook to sleep (reread)
  • The Bookshop of Yesterdays by Amy Meyerson, which I suggested to my book club after enjoying her recent release, The Imperfects
  • Martha Stewart Living--so much to learn about laundry! I'm thinking about cutting out parts to make into the scrapbooks like the packhorse librarians of Kentucky did in The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
  • Better Homes & Gardens (yes, I did go on a pandemic magazine subscription spree)
Just Finished
    About My Mother Cover Image

  • Peggy Rowe's hilarious book of short stories, About My Mother. Not only is it a humorous, relaxing read, but Rowe grew up in my hometown of Baltimore, and some of her struggles revolve around her mother's intense Baltimore Orioles fandom :-) Recommended, especially for Baltimore fans!
Other Things
  • As I'm sure many of you are here, I'm acutely distressed about the political situation in the United States, and I want to do everything in my power to make sure I and everyone I know votes to take down fascism
  • This week, after the death of the venerable Ruth Bader Ginsburg (may her memory be for a revolution), I called all the Republican senators on the judiciary committee who are up for reelection, and let them (well, their answering machines) know my thoughts
  • I'm planning to write postcards too.
  • I also saw a Facebook friend writing postcards to women in low voter turnout areas through the L
    eague of Women Voters, so I will do that too
  • I'm strongly considering attending a Women's March protest in October. I haven't been to any protects since the pandemic started, and I know I was being conscious of health, but I regret that. Racism is a pandemic too. 
  • I'm making weekly small donations to the Biden campaign. It's not enough, but at least it's something.
  • I've ordered my absentee ballot. According to tracking, my application has been processed. Ballots were supposed to be mailed Sept. 24, so I expect mine soon. Check where you can order yours if you haven't already: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/vote-by-mail-a-state-by-state-guide-to-absentee-ballot-voting/ar-BB13ZSXX
  • If you're a United States voter, I need you to vote for Biden.
  •  Even if you're not a Democrat.
  •  Even if you hate Democrats.
  •  Even if you're a die-hard Bernie stan. 
  • Biden is not perfect. He is not even great. But he is not a power-hungry corrupt narcissist psychopath who only cares about himself and is blithely letting over 200,000 (Say it with me: OVER. TWO. HUNDRED. THOUSAND.) Americans die on his watch, and saying stuff like he doesn't know if he can guarantee a peaceful transition of power, which, you know, hasn't been a problem in over 200 years of our government, and oh yeah, members of our military are "losers" for being so stupid as to lose their lives or limbs defending our country. 
  • Electing Biden is the first step to saying no to fascism. It is not the last. 
  • Thank you for listening. 

Comments

Preach on, my friend. Yes, yes, yes. I am trying to talk to as many people as I can, to refute the ridiculous lies spread, to name it as fake news, to denounce the statements and actions of this president, to stand up for democracy and science and rational thought, and to remind people to vote. I plan to early vote. I want to be sure that my vote counts. I'm very glad you have shared your thoughts and offered actions for us to take.

As to audiobooks, I always have an easier time listening to nonfiction than I do to fiction. A story with a long narrative structure is hard for me in audiobook format.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who has gone magazine-crazy. We also resubscribed to the daily newspaper.
Girl Who Reads said…
I actually listened to more audiobooks as I wasn't "saving" them for when I was at the office. If you are looking for something to sleep to I recommend the Twilight series. The narrator's voice is so soothing. When I have trouble sleeping I check it out from the digital library (it's usually available) and fall asleep in no time.
If I lived in the US my vote would be for Biden, anyone is better than Trump. If worse comes to worse, I would hope if Trump is really so stupid as to refuse to step down if he is voted out that other countries will place harsh sanctions on him and the US, which should motivate the Republicans to push him out.

Audiobooks don’t work for me unfortunately, I find them irritating mostly.

Wishing you a great reading week
Heather G. said…
I've got family who are Trumpers on my hubby's side. Plus I live in a very conservative state. I am surrounded by Trump flags. It's so hard. He's got my vote. The only thing I can say for my state in the ease of voting arena is registered voters automatically get their ballots mailed to them weeks before the election date. I'll be sending it in as soon as I get it.

I hope you have a great week despite everything going on in the world!
Judy Krueger said…
I am with you on Biden. I had a hard week after RGB died. Emotionally all over the place. I do like your "brilliant" idea. I always fall asleep when someone is reading to me, even during author events sometimes. I mean that is what our parents trained us to do right? I do sometimes listen to podcasts when I can't fall asleep.

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge