Skip to main content

January Wrap-Up

I read a lot more this month than I have in a while. Part of it is being off work for most of the month. Part of it is distracting myself from the winter, particularly the winter of this pandemic. The rates, the restriction, the closing in, the cold. I felt better after the 20th was over. I feel confident that I will get the vaccine sometime this year. But I still just want to escape.

I'm lucky. I have a lovely cozy place to huddle up with my beloved spouse and dogs. I'm safe. I have everything I need. I just have to find it. 

 Books Read This Month

  1. The Secret Commonwealth by Philip Pullman
  2. Mrs. Everything by Jennifer Weiner
  3. Tell Me More by Kelly Corrigan
  4. Paper Brigade 2020-21
  5. One Fine Day the Rabbi Bought a Cross by Harry Kemelman
  6. Romancing Mr. Bridgerton by Julia Quinn
  7. Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
  8. The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel
  9. Last Day on Mars by Kevin Emerson
Favorite Book This Month

1. The Secret Commonwealth by Philip Pullman

It helps to start off the month (and year) with such an absorbing read. I started it right after we finished watching the second season of HBO's His Dark Materials, so I was already immersed in the world. Philip Pullman just gets better with age. His writing still seems so vital and complex and layered and true, and I can't wait for the rest of Lyra's story, which still feels like the whole universe's story. 


Comments

Judy Krueger said…
I am looking forward to the Philip Pullman book, so much! I feel hopeful that the pandemic will be over by spring.

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...