Skip to main content

March Wrap-Up

I'm swamped with work, and not much relief in sight till May. Honestly, I'm surprised I got as much reading done as I did. Plus, it looks like one of my doggos is going to need surgery and I'm pretty upset, and between making appointments for her, me, and my husband...phew. Good news is I'm now half-vaccinated, as a teacher, and so is my husband, who also works in education. I get my second vaccine next week!  


Books I Read This Month

  1. Winterkeep by Kristin Cashore
  2. The Last Watchman of Old Cairo by Michael David Lukas
  3. My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem (reread)
Thoughts

I'm so, so grateful that I got to read Winterkeep, the latest in the Graceling series that I've been following since 2012. I definitely tried to read slowly and savor as much as I could! I know I'll read it again too. I love Kristin Cashore so much and will read anything she writes for the rest of my life. 

Reading Winterkeep was even more of a treat than I dared to dream. Bitterblue is still my favorite book of the series, but Winterkeep features a slightly older Bitterblue, plus Hava and Giddon, in a new situation, representing her country in a new land with a different system of government and more sophisticated technology (airships! and more!). Plus, we have the other viewpoints, like Lovisa, a teenage native of Winterkeep, who won my heart in her own way, a mythical sea creature called the Keeper who is pretty sure she actually isn't the Keeper, and (my heart!) a telepathic blue fox, who is in a complicated situation of his own and his kin's making. I actually loved all the viewpoints, which is rare for me, because I usually far prefer some to others (like A Song of Ice and Fire, can you just give me Tyrion and like maybe Sansa and keep everyone else?), but the blue fox might be my favorite. In his culture, foxes choose their own names, and he names himself "Adventure Fox," "Ad," for short, and he is so adorable and yes, I will just leave you with the image of Adventure Fox curled up in his human's hood, enjoying his favorite sweet pastry.

The Last Watchman of Old Cairo is a book club read for next month, plus a book that's been on my TBR for a while. I'm glad I finally read it and I enjoyed the images of Cairo and the history surrounding the Genizah documents. The main character, Joseph/Yusuf, is interesting but the book makes a huge deal about him being the son of an Egyptian Jewish mother and Egyptian Muslim father and just doesn't do much with that story or the implications of being both religions in his life. Then again, maybe that just wasn't the focus of the book, which is fine, but I'm not sure why it's so emphasized then. 

My Life on the Road was a reread for me, and the read for my other book club this month. I really enjoyed reading it again, and reminding myself of Steinem's life as an activist and her experiences in transit. This time, I was struck by her reflections on speaking at campuses, where she asked students and professors what issues to bring up so she could do it for them, and especially the last chapter about Native American issues, culture, and activism, particularly seen through her friendship with Wilma Mankiller, a Cherokee chief. I learned a lot, like that the Constitution was partly based on the Iroquois Confederacy and that there are all kinds of ancient Native ruins around our country that aren't commonly known. I wrote down a lot of books by Native writers or about Native customs to check out. 



Comments

Judy Krueger said…
I have always meant to read The Graceling Series. Back to the top of my lists. Also the Gloria Steinman book. She is a heroine of mine. I hope your workload eases up soon.

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...