Skip to main content

May Wrap-Up

It was quite a month for reading, especially comfort reading, as you'll see by my list. I'd been meaning to get to the Grishaverse for a while, but it was on the backburner until it came out on Netflix. After I parceled out the TV show, which I definitely enjoyed, I binged all five of the books the series is/will be based on. The creators of the show made an interesting choice to combine the casts and overlap the plots of Shadow and Bone and Six of Crows, which are separate in the books. It will be interesting to see where that goes. The first trilogy is a much more traditional good hero versus evil villain epic fantasy with some Russian-esque words thrown in for flavor (don't get me wrong, this is the epitome of a comfort read for me!), while the Crows duology is grittier, picaresque heroes coming up in the big bad city. Bardugo is great at characterization, especially biting dialogue, and plays well with the implications of the magical Grisha powers in the universe she's created. After I flew through those, I was pleasantly surprised by a couple of stalwart and insightful book club reads, for two different respective book clubs, then I discovered that Spotify has audiobooks, including the Raven Cycle, so I flew through those again, and then finished up with a nonfiction read I'd been struggling to get through for a couple of months. So, all in all, very successful reading month. 

 Books Read This Month



  1. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
  2. Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo
  3. Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo
  4. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
  5. Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
  6. The Guest Book by Sarah Blake (book club read; enjoyed more than I expected)
  7. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng (other book club read; also enjoyed more than expected)
  8. The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater (reread)
  9. The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater (reread)
  10. Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater (reread)
  11. The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater (reread)
  12. Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...