Skip to main content

Books I Wish I Could Read Again for the First Time

 First reading experiences are truly special, but I find that for books I really enjoy, re-readings can be equally or more amazing, as I gain more insight into the writing and characters. However, sometimes books are tied to certain moments in time or certain ages or the nature of the book is such that knowing what happens ahead makes it a little bit less interesting. All the books listed below are books I would happily read again, but there was something special about the first time.

Happy Top Ten Tuesday at That Artsy Reader Girl!


Books I Wish I Could Read Again for the First Time

  1. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
  2. Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield
  3. We Are Okay by Nina LaCour
  4. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
  5. The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney
  6. My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman
  7. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
  8. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
  9. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
  10. The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman


Comments

Lydia said…
The Outsiders is a good pick. Someone else mentioned it this week, too!

My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-books-i-wish-i-could-read-again-for-the-first-time/
Lex @ Lexlingua said…
I haven't read any of these books! Is there any particular favorite you'd recommend? Lucky for me, I'll get to actually read it for the first time. ;-p
~Lex (lexlingua.co)
@Lex Lucky you! What a great question--it depends what you're most into. If you like getting lost in a big chunk of literature, I'd go with The Goldfinch or Once Upon a River. If you like shining little jewelboxes, I'd go with We Are Okay.

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...