Skip to main content

End of Year Reading Survey 2021

 

It's down to the wire, and I still don't know if I will finish another book this year or not 😀. However, I've finished 57 books so far, and so I'm completing my customary annual survey with those in mind.

2021 Reading Stats

(As usual, borrowed and modified from the sadly now discontinued blog, Boston Bibliophile.)

How many books read? 57

Fiction/nonfiction? 48 fiction (including 2 mixed collections),  9 nonfiction

Female/male/nonbinary author ratio? 41 female, 13 male, and 3 collections with mixed genders 

Writers of Color/Minority Writers? 10 books by writers of color,  13 books by Jewish authors, which also includes some writers of color and LGBTQ writers

Favorite book? The Galaxy, and the Ground Within by Becky Chambers--three very different aliens temporarily stranded at a waystation in space, plus their host alien and her child--a thoughtful depiction of alien cultures and a masterpiece of character interaction

Longest and shortest books?

Longest:  The Secret Commonwealth by Philip Pullman, at 784 pages.

Shortest: The Latke in the Library & Other Mystery Stories for Chanukah by Libi Astaire, at 93 pages.

How many books from the library? 24. Pretty good!

Which countries did you go to through the page in your year of reading?

The barren but populated planet of Gora (the waystation), New York City at various times, San Francisco in the 1980s, Sweden, the Graceling and Winterkeep realms, British countryside in the 1500s and 1920s, Mars, Venice, Egypt, rural Virginia, Boston, Portland OR, South Korea, Alabama, the beach, Turkey in the 1950s, California, Kentucky, Arizona, Vietnam and Canada at various times, and several assorted planets

Any translated books?

Yes, two from French, two from Swedish, and the two Paper Brigade literary magazines I read this year each contained a story translated from Hebrew.

Most read author of the year, and how many books by that author?

Tie between Jennifer Wiener (Mrs. Everything, Good in Bed, and Big Summer) and Kevin Emerson (Chronicle of the Dark Star trilogy).

Any re-reads?

I reread Bitterblue before reading Winterkeep by Kristin Cashore, and I reread Call Down the Hawk before reading Mister Impossible by Maggie Stiefvater. I also reread My Life On the Road by Gloria Steinem because one of my book clubs read it. It was even better the second time. 

Favorite character of the year?

Pei, from The Galaxy, and the Ground Within; she's a character in earlier books that I enjoyed, but we really get to know her here.

Which book wouldn’t you have read without someone’s specific recommendation?

I read a lot of books this year for book clubs that I wouldn't have read otherwise; of those, my favorites were Just Mercy by Brian Stevenson and Just as I Am by Cicely Tyson

Which author was new to you that you now want to read the entire works of?

Leigh Bardugo

Which books are you annoyed you didn't read?

None. I'm not worried about this anymore.

Did you read any books you have always been meaning to read?

Yes, A Traveler in Time, Ru, and Wild Ginger had been on my shelves for a while, and I also finally got around to reading Ready Player Two, and I'd wanted to read Jennifer Weiner for a while. 

How many books did you read on your ereader?

11, including some of the library books. 

Oldest book read? A Traveler in Time by Alison Uttley, pub. 1939

Newest? Dogs on the Trail: A Year in the Life by Blair Braverman and Quince Mountain, pub. Oct. 19 2021

How many SFF books did you read? 20--up from 7 last year, but still down from 32 the year before. 

Comments

Lydia said…
Dogs on the Trail sounds good!
@Lydia--It was so much fun! A great, quick read and a beautiful coffee table book to flip through and share!

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...