Skip to main content

May 2022 Wrap-Up

I couldn't believe my luck that Tor was giving away a free ebook of Becky Chambers' A Psalm for the Wild-Built, just in time for my anniversary too! I also had an ebook for review, a great book club read, and another great poetry read, so a fantastic reading month to end off the semester and some time between jobs...


Books Read This Month

  1. Ashes of the Firebird by Amy Kuivalainen--I received the ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I truly enjoyed this fast-paced supernatural romp. I also enjoy jumping right in the thick of things with the second book in a trilogy. I was able to pick up fine, although there is an enormous cast including at least six viewpoints, so you might want to make notes! That said, the author does an excellent job of weaving and innovating lore to create a unique cast of supernatural beings--definitely a lot of Slavic influence but also Classical and indigenous, and an Elven race that's actually from another planet?!? Lots of romantic tension too, naturally. Looking forward to the finale. 
  2. The Invisible Woman by Erika Robuck (book club)--I almost didn't read this because I got it from the library so late, but by the time I finished the night before book club and the night after I started reading, I was trying to slow it down! This was an unexpectedly fantastic read, extremely well-paced and compelling, based on the life of Virginia Hall, a real-life female spy from Baltimore during World War II. When I read about her research afterward, it was amazing how many of the characters and what happened were actually true! Highly recommend.
  3. What to Miss When by Leigh Stein--Stein's second book of poems did not let me down! As relevant, pithy, and irreverent as her first collection, it's tied together around the early days of the pandemic; the original cover art (see left) and some of the poems also thematically allude to the Decameron. Fun read. 
  4. A Psalm for the Wild-Built by Becky Chambers--My love for everything Chambers writes is still going strong! This exploration of a gentle utopian world and the dialogue between a human monk and a "wild-built" robot (the first such encounter in centuries) is just what I needed. Looking forward to the next in the series!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge