Skip to main content

July 2022 Wrap-Up

I finished up the graphic novels for superhero class as I was teaching them during the first couple weeks of July (I got assigned the class late and didn't get to pick the books--not that I've read many graphic novels before). I definitely learned a lot about graphic novels! Fortunately, I seemed to know more than most of the kids who, like me, primarily knew about superheroes via Marvel and DC movies. I saw Thor: Love and Thunder after the session wrapped, but I can picture exactly how much my students enjoyed it!


 Books Read This Month

1. Herobear and the Kid, Vol. 1 The Inheritance by Mike Kunkel--graphic novel for class; the librarians had fun taking out all my notes when I returned it! It was difficult to get since it wasn't recently published, the most conventional of the books we read (which was good for teaching archetypes, tropes, and the Hero's Journey), but I would really only recommend this for kids/American Christian kids (not to spoil too much but there's a Christmas angle that did not charm me as a class choice).

2. Nimona by Noelle Stevenson--graphic novel for class; I was excited to read because it's by the same person who created the 2018 She-Ra and the Princesses of Power series for Netflix. I used an episode of She-Ra to illustrate or lessons on archetypes and the Hero's Journey--which backfired/escalated when the kids proceeded to ask for She-Ra again every single day (I let them watch 3 episodes the last day lol). We noted that, like She-Ra, Nimona plays with the concepts of good and evil, and we had fun deciding who fit which archetype--I was pretty impressed--we did a vote at the end, and they decided on Ballister Blackheart as the hero and Nimona as the villain/shapeshifter, based on our understanding of archetypes and the Hero's Journey. (The Institute is also a villain, and Goldenloin is both a villain and a hero). Definitely fun, but for teaching purposes, should be paired with a more straightforward book for sure. 

3. Morningside Heights by Joshua Henkin--Book club read. I wouldn't have chosen this, and the book club agreed that it has a somewhat detached writing style, and the shifts in time and viewpoint character seem to be written for cinematic purposes, and don't make as much sense in a book. Definitely can be affecting and acutely observing of living Jewishly and living with Alzheimer's, so some people may enjoy it. I'm just not into realistic fiction for the most part; it was never my favorite and has shifted more and more down the list. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...