Skip to main content

August 2022 Wrap-Up

 I started a new job this month, so I've been pretty busy, but still had time for some reading! Normally, I would be coming up on a really busy time of year right now, but I'll have to see if that's true in my new non-education job. It will definitely be different--although I will still have a batch of Hebrew school kids on Sundays (which will also be new for me!). 

Books Read This Month

  1. Once and For All by Sarah Dessen--This is my first Sarah Dessen book and won't be my last (I actually immediately started reading another one!). I watched the Along for the Ride movie on Netflix and had a feeling I would like the book even more, but there was of course a wait for that one, so I got this one first. I enjoyed all the wedding planning details and slow burn romance. 
  2. The Searcher by Tana French (book club read)--Definitely wouldn't have picked this one on my own, but it made for an interesting conversation about the morality Western society values in our detective fiction, and how that's changing, plus I loved the atmospheric descriptions of the Irish countryside. Can finally say I've read Tana French, and would consider reading her other books. 
  3. Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen--Finally got this one off the waitlist! Such a strong atmosphere in this book--maybe because I'd already seen the movie was part of it, but it just creates a strong nighttime (and daytime) world for Auden and Eli and their friends. Dessen has such a strong understanding of trauma too, and her writing has so many insightful, poignant lines--I love the idea of a "Best of Times" picture frame where you keep switching out the photos. 
  4. Yearbook by Seth Rogen (book club read)--Another one I wouldn't have picked on my own, but I was surprised by (and interested in) the amount of Jewish content; also the stories surrounding the making of and controversy around The Interview. I would have enjoyed some Freaks and Geeks content. I didn't realize Rogen started as a stand-up comic and mostly works as a writer, but both of those make sense. He definitely seems like an interesting person, and I highly respect how he uses his platform to stand up against anti-Semitism and discrimination in general.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...