Skip to main content

My Favorite TV Shows

 I've never really thought of TV shows like books until more recently, but I probably should. Especially since, these days, I can read them like texts, go back, rewind, repeat, stop there and think. I can stop a screen, and start writing how I'm feeling and reacting to characters and plot and setting on screen. I can return to favorite scenes again and again. And I can always compare the show and the book(s) because for some reason, a lot of my favorite shows are based on books--can't imagine why. Happy Top Ten Tuesday!

Some of My Favorite TV Shows

1. All of the Star Treks, but right now, I'm enjoying Star Trek: Picard (The TNG cast especially my favorite Geordie!!!) and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (love the episodic nature and modern sensibility and LOVE Anson Mount's Captain Pike).

2. Gilmore Girls--ultimate comfort TV, love that weird quirky impossible town. 

3. New Girl--came to this a bit late, but I love how it's a wackier, quirkier spin on the sitcom with friends and ISN'T set in NYC. And I love Zooey Deschanel, and yes, my personality and life do have some similarities with Jess's.

4. Charmed--both new and old--I watched ALL of it for the first time during the pandemic. Come for the magic, stay for the gothic aesthetic.

5. The 100--the first few seasons--at first it seemed like a whiny teen show and then it got really real and had some brilliant thoughtful episodes--also based on books, and I read the first three. They were a little different than the show.

6. The Magicians--I loved the first season of the TV show and went back and read the last two books in the trilogy. I had read the first book a long time ago but found it too depressing--I enjoyed rereading it. I think it was just too hard to read when I was too close to that experience of being a teenager. Both the show and books were brilliant, and I love how they both riffed on each other and went in different directions.

7. Babylon 5--Even though I haven't watched the last episode yet, I really enjoyed watching this years after it came out. I feel like it would fit in so much better today, and I really hope there is a remake.

8. Lost--also watched this years after it came out, and I really enjoyed it and the focus on the characters and their stories. The ending doesn't bother me. 😜

9. On My Block--I thought this Netflix comedy was really funny and real, and I also enjoyed the Goonies vibes.

10. Stranger Things--Speaking of Goonies vibes and all things '80s, even though I wasn't really around then, I appreciated the nostalgia of this series and also just love the characters and twists and turns. Hoping for a strong ending. 


Comments

Lydia said…
The Magicians was such a good show!

My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-my-favourite-things/
New Girl was such a fun show!
Stephen said…
Anson Mount is the best thing to happen to Star Trek since DS9 went off the air. I really liked Voyager, and find Enterprise far more tolerable now that we've had to endure STD, but Strange New Worlds ROCKS. I tackled podcasts this week, but I didn't have room for the Trek casts I've been getting into.
Snapdragon said…
I enjoy watching Gilmore Girls. It such a sweet show.
I need to catch up on Stranger Things. I loved the first season.
I need to try the new Star Trek shows one of these days.
iloveheartlandX said…
Gilmore Girls is one of my favourite shows! I also really enjoyed New Girl. I liked the first couple of seasons of The Magicians, but it got a little too weird and confusing for me around S4.
My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2023/04/18/top-ten-tuesday-416/

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge