Skip to main content

Winter 2023-2024 TBR

 Happy Top Ten Tuesday! I have an urge to list a bunch of cute wintry reads OR list the books I actually think I will read this winter. I'll go with a mixture of both. Happy Sixth Night of Hanukkah to my fellow celebrants!

Books On My Winter 2023-2024 TBR

  1. Eight Nights of Flirting by Hannah Reynolds--Ok, I'm cheating because I just finished this, but it's such an adorable Hanukkah romance with the perfect wintry cover that I couldn't not include it.
  2. Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus--An upcoming book club read for January--I hope there's a reason for all the hype!
  3. Out of the Corner by Jennifer Grey--Different book club read for January--kind of interested in this one although I don't know a lot about her.
  4. Promises Stronger Than Darkness (Unstoppable Book 3) by Charlie Jane Anders--Currently reading very slowly and the title is very appropriate for this winter.
  5. Bookshops & Bonedust by Travis Baldree--Legends & Lattes was the ultimate cozy fantasy, and I'm sure this one will be too. 
  6. Hanukkah in America: A History by Dianne Ashton--Got this out of the library and currently reading, although I have to remember where I put it?
  7. The Frozen River by Ariel Lawhon--I didn't used to like mysteries but I've got more into the cozy or historical mystery aesthetic, and this one is set in 18th century Maine.

Comments

Nicole said…
Those look like some adorable holiday-themed books! And I just recently finished Bookshops & Bonedust, and can confirm that it's a fun cozy fantasy. Happy reading and happy Hanukkah!

Happy TTT (on a Wednesday)! Here's my post this week.
Susan said…
I'm excited for THE FROZEN RIVER too. I love the cover and the story sounds compelling. I hope you love it and all these others.

Happy belated TTT!

curlygeek04 said…
Happy New Year! I appreciate the recommendation for a good Hanukkah romance (I can't say I've ever read one). I hope you enjoy Lessons in Chemistry, I loved it! I'm very much looking forward to Frozen River as I loved Code Name Helene.

Popular posts from this blog

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...