Skip to main content

Authors That Were New-to-Me in 2023

I wanted to post this several weeks ago, but then my laptop broke, so here goes: There were more authors than I thought that I enjoyed and were new to me in 2023, including a number of the ARCs I reviewed. It's cool to be back to a place where I'm enjoying more ARCs than not--it helps to be picky and know what I like, especially imprints as well as authors I tend to like. 

Best New-to-Me Authors in 2023

  1. Brendan Slocumb--The Violin Conspiracy was fascinating and well-written, looking forward to the next one!
  2. Nathan Harris-The Sweetness of Water was well-written and some of the best historical fiction I've read in a while. 
  3. Kathryn Troy-Read and loved 2 of her ARCs in 2023; looking forward to more!
  4. Shaunna J. Edwards/Alyson Richman-Another historical fiction duo I thought was top-notch and would read again. 
  5. Cathy Yardley-I loved the cozy romance in Role Playing and her snarky humor; would read more.
  6. Renée Gendron--Read her book for review and would continue the series; so much going on with the religion/astrology there.
  7. Saul Golubcow-Local author wrote some Jewish detective stories I enjoyed. 
  8. Katy Hays-I really enjoyed the atmospheric, artistic, and academic details in The Cloisters, would definitely read more books by her!

Comments

curlygeek04 said…
I've heard good things about Role Playing, so I've added that to my TBR. And the Nathan Harris book looks fantastic. Thanks for the recommendations.
Lydia said…
Historical fiction can be so interesting to read!

Here is my Top Ten Tuesday post.
@all Thanks for the comments!

@curlygeek04 Hope you enjoy Harris's book as much as I did!

Popular posts from this blog

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...