Skip to main content

Books Read in August 2024

  1.  The Dry by Jane Harper (Book club read)--First of a mystery series set in Australia; solid read and fit well with the setting in a drought-struck town
  2. Never Meant to Meet You by Alli Frank and Asha Youmans (Another book club read)-- Loved this Black/Jewish friendship story and they really know what they're talking about when it comes to teaching!
  3. The Once and Future Witches by Alix E. Harrow (Yet another book club read)-- Loved, loved this magical alternate history--perfect remix of history and fairytale and feminism--over 500 pages and I did not want it to stop! I actually recommended this one so I guess I really know my own taste lol!
  4. Kat Girl by Sarah Lahey (LibraryThing review)--Another one set in Australia,  this one in Melbourne. Main character is a twice-divorced architect who is definitely autism spectrum-coded. This book gets really frank and weird and there's a lot of architecture and Monopoly but definitely an interesting read. Also, the romance is definitely second (or third) chance but not at all enemies to lovers. 
  5. In Love With Him Again by Amina Yur (LibraryThing review)--Sweet second-chance romance novella with only one bed. My favorite part was the main character, Illi, and the bits we get about her Moroccan heritage, particularly the Berber language. The author actually translated the book herself, so I think I can count this as a #WIT month read! Looking forward to more from Amina Yur. 
  6. My Plain Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows--I can't get enough of the My Lady Janies! Honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect with this one, and it was totally different--this time instead of some people who can turn into animals, some people can see ghosts, but it's an equally funny, fantastical, and redemptive adventure (honestly, Rochester makes way more sense this way). If you loved Jane Eyre but did not love the "HEA," this is the new and improved version for you!
  7. Selected Poetry of Yehuda Amichai, translated by Chana Bloch--Another sort-of #WIT month read (woman translator), I picked this up in a used bookstore and have actually been reading it slowly before bed for a while but finally finished. Loved all these poems about Jewish and Israeli life in the mid-to-late twentieth century.
  8. Greywaren by Maggie Stiefvater--Finally finished the Dreamer trilogy! This did not disappoint--I'd been putting it off because I was afraid my favorite character would die but he did not and just so happy to have a satisfying end for all these beloved characters amid ever more surprising twists and turns. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...