Skip to main content

New-To-Me Authors I Discovered in 2024

 I discovered a lot of new authors in 2024, mostly thanks to Kindle Unlimited and Stuff-Your-Kindle days and also that I've newly gotten into the genres of romance and romantasy, which has opened up a lot of new authors to me as well. It feels nice to support new authors both as a reader and as a reviewer (and a member of 4-5 book clubs), and I hope I get to do more of it in 2025. 

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl!

New-To-Me Authors I Discovered in 2024

  1. Megan Van Dyke--I started seeing her posts on Instagram probably sometime in 2023, and I finally read Captive of the Stolen Empire in early 2024, and then I was hooked. I love her standalones, fairytale retellings, and fae realm books--she does lush worldbuilding, intense characters, and spicy romance. I plan to keep reading books as long as she keeps writing them!
  2. Allie Lasky--I found her by searching for Hanukkah romances on Kindle Unlimited. Her characters are Gen Z and very alternative, but she delivered on fun, distracting, utterly ridiculous Hanukkah romance!
  3. Amanda Usen and Jessica Topper--Also Gen Z Hanukkah romance--I like that this series is written by two friends and there are more novels planned. Also just very fun, distracting romance and makes Jewish rep feel very seen. 
  4. Cora Crane--I found The Orc and the Innkeeper on Kindle Unlimited, and although it was my first monster romance and there were some things I was, ahem, not expecting, it's a super cozy, magical town, and the romance was sweet and well-earned. I went on to read the next book and will probably read the next!
  5. Amanda Elliott--I loved I Love You a Latke from start to finish. It's so full of Hanukkah rep and the characters, especially the narrator, are pretty deep and the grumpy/sunshine dynamic is well done.
  6. Maggie O'Farrell--I'd heard of Hamnet awhile ago and The Marriage Portrait when it came out, but they both seemed like such depressing source material, I didn't want to touch it. But I'm glad I did. The Marriage Portrait is exquisite, layered, and a literal work of art. I look forward to reading more of her books.
  7. Hannah Nicole Maehrer--The title Assistant to the Villain made me laugh, so I downloaded it, on you guessed it, Kindle Unlimited. I expected a fantasy satire, and instead I got a romance, but I'm not mad. In fact, I bought the second book and eagerly await the third!
  8. Judy I. Lin--Another Kindle Unlimited read, but this was actually one I saw first on Goodreads and wanted to read. I love how she blends Chinese mythology with Gothic literature and creates a strong, talented heroine. I don't know if there will be a sequel to Song of the Six Realms, but I'm now interested in reading anything she writes.
  9. Randie K. Berman--She posted about her book A Different Sky in an Fb group, so I downloaded it on...Kindle Unlimited. I loved this book about a young American woman moving to Israel in the 1970s. It was a totally different point of view, but I also enjoyed the American Jewish rep that was familiar to me.
  10. Yehuda Amichai--I'd never heard of him before, but I discovered a book of his poetry on sale at a used bookstore. I read them over a period of time, just a few poems at a time, before bed (one poem was like 20 pages [!] though most were much shorter). If you have an interest in the earlier days of the state of Israel or Jewish/Israeli poetry generally, I would recommend him. 

Comments

Lydia said…
The Marriage Portrait sounds interesting.
Susan said…
I'm glad you found some great new authors last year. I haven't even heard of most of them!

Happy TTT!
@Lydia I would definitely recommend The Marriage Portrait! @Susan--thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...