Skip to main content

Book Review: Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie Jane Anders, COMING AUGUST 19, 2025!

Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie Jane Anders

Release Date: August 19, 2025

I was honored to be one in a chain of readers sharing an ARC from the author. It was a pretty cool idea; we each were mailed a copy, read it, and received an address to mail it on to the next person. As one of the last readers, when I received it, the inside cover was almost filled with messages and signatures from previous readers! No one, however, had marked the book in any way, so I will have to wait until I get my own preordered copy to do all my underlining and annotating!

This was such a beautiful, melancholy yet hopeful, contained yet genre-expansive, story of an 18th century Brit lit grad student who teaches her mother magic, with somewhat disastrous consequences. I enjoyed the embedded 18th century Brit lit discourse and the interpolated fictional 18th century novel, and particularly the spotlight on real 18th century women writers (Sarah Fielding, Jane Collier). The novel wrestles with the ethics, tension, and power dynamics of bringing liminal spaces and people into the forefront, and the very real effects of reputation and appearances on people's lives, in the 18th century and today. It uses magic kind of as a metonym for those power tensions--how bringing those people and works of art into public view can be useful and powerful but there's also backlash and consequences. It's also very much about the central queer relationships between Jamie and her mother Serena, and Jamie and her wife Ro, and the dynamics of that love and the desire to protect each other, the latter of which can be as destructive as it is powerful. 

Lessons in Magic and Disaster pulls no punches, and is itself a kind of quiet, liminal but powerful (I keep coming back to that word!) space for queer, nerdy, English lit majors to contemplate their discourse. Highly, highly recommend--for nerds, queers, former English majors, Brit lit lovers, Charlie Jane Anders fans, and anyone whose interest is piqued!

Read for review from the author; all opinions are my own!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...