Skip to main content

Books Read in April 2026

It's been a busy month and a half or so, plus my laptop conked out, but here are the books I read in April. May is shaping up to be busy as well, as is June. Many good things, but lots of overwhelm. I'm doing a lot of escapist reading right now, but writing about it on the blog may have to wait.

Books Read in April 2026
  1. Shadows We Carry by Meryl Ain (Book club read)--Follows the lives of Holocaust survivors' children--appreciated the more uncommon topic but the writing/structure was not for me. 
  2. How to Read a Book by Monica Wood (Other book club read)--Quick read, a bit saccharine, but enjoyed the characters and the Maine setting. Revolves around a book club in a women's prison, and how a young former prisoner reestablishes her life when she gets out. Featuring African grey parrots--they are pretty cool!
  3. Working the Mound by K. Iwancio (eARC review): Read my review here
  4. The Potency of Ungovernable Impulses (The Investigations of Mossa and Pleiti #3) by Malka Ann Older---LOVED this incredible scifi sapphic mystery set on Jupiter--the futuristic language she creates (made up of French, Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Indonesian, and Nerd--and those are just the ones I identified) is worth it in and of itself. The worldbuilding with how humanity has adapted to Jupiter was also endlessly fascinating to me. My only recommendation would be to not read the third book first like I did, oops! The mystery was pretty standalone but there are references to other books and the relationship between the investigator characters Mossa and Pleiti who seem to have a very Holmes/Watson dynamic except they're explicitly romantically involved. 😊
  5. The Art of Blessing the Day: Poems with a Jewish Theme by Marge Piercy--So many incredibly strong poems about Jewish women's observance and experience, wrestling with the aftermath of the Holocaust and the rise of climate change, and incredibly meaningful translations of daily prayers. Highly recommend to those interested.
  6. The Deep Sky by Yume Kitasei--I really just need to read everything, or at least all scifi and fantasy, recommended by Charlie Jane Anders, because I read Malka Older and Yume Kitasei for the first time this month and loved them both so much. The Deep Sky is mostly set on a generation ship and back in time when the shipmates were competing for spots. Asuka, the main protagonist, is a compelling viewpoint character and I loved seeing everything from her perspective. Futuristic technology blends really well with the storytelling, there's a little more horror than I'd like, but it's ultimately a hopeful story about friendship and community. I also love how the author centered friendship in a very queer-friendly world--we get to see a welcoming LGBTQ+ community AND recognize the importance and value of friendships to characters' lives, e.g., same-sex relationships exist and also same-sex friendships are important without needing to be sexual, something that I worry sometimes gets missed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...