Skip to main content

Top Ten Characters (and Literary Figures) I'd Name My Children After

It's Top Ten Tuesday rewind, so I picked an old topic I hadn't done before. If only there weren't so many other reasons not to have ten kids!

1. Eowyn from LOTR

If I have a daughter, her first or middle name will be Eowyn. I love the way the name sounds. The suffix "wyn" means joy in Old English, and "Eo" means horse, representing the importance of horses to the Rohirrim. Eowyn is the strongest female character in Lord of the Rings, even more so than Arwen or Galadriel. She takes action into her own hands, in love and war. That's a legacy I'd want my kid to have.

2. Galadriel from LOTR

Galadriel is such a beautiful name, in Elvish (specifically Sindarin), it means "maiden crowned with a radiant garland." I might give a daughter this name, although I've thought of having a dog named Galadriel for a long time too.

3. Madeleine L'Engle

I would love to name a girl Madeleine after Madeleine L'Engle, author of some of my favorite books.

4. Meg Murray

I might also name a girl Margaret after Meg Murry in L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time.

5. Hermione Granger from Harry Potter

I suspect this name has grown much more popular in the past few years. It's a very unique girl's name that refers back to antiquity and to Shakespeare. The most recent incarnation of Hermione as a savvy, brilliant young woman would be a great image for a young girl to live up to.

6. Samwise Gamgee from LOTR

Sam is probably my favorite character in the LOTR canon (competing with Eowyn and Gandalf). Sam is loyal to the end, he has a great sense of wonder, and he is the only one of the characters that is able to willingly give up the Ring. A name like "Samwise" is both earthy and different. A boy could still go by "Sam," but he'd have this secretly awesome real name.

7. Anne from Anne of Green Gables

It could only be Anne with an "e"! Or maybe I'd even venture to name a girl Cordelia.

8. Emily from Emily of New Moon

I absolutely love the name Emily for a girl and always have (drat its being so popular!), but Emily of New Moon is a character that I heavily identify with and I feel like a child named after her couldn't help but be elfin and ethereal, not to mention talented.

9. William Shakespeare

William is a fine name and being called after the Bard couldn't hurt any child's chances of being a brilliant playwright, right? "Shakespeare" is also a good name for a cat or dog, it sounds very dignified.

10. Elizabeth I or Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice

Though technically not a literary character, Elizabeth I has appeared in numerous plays, poems, and works of fiction over the centuries, besides having been a poet herself. If that's unacceptable, I'll offer another favorite Elizabeth, Jane Austen's sparkling, witty heroine who far outshines the dour prideful Darcy as far as I'm concerned. A daughter named after either of these couldn't help but be a brave, self-sufficient woman. Plus, Elizabeth, while a strong name itself, offers so many adorable nicknames...

Comments

Linda said…
Madeleine was my favorite name when I was a child for the same reason. Wonderful list!

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge