Skip to main content

Top Ten Characters (and Literary Figures) I'd Name My Children After

It's Top Ten Tuesday rewind, so I picked an old topic I hadn't done before. If only there weren't so many other reasons not to have ten kids!

1. Eowyn from LOTR

If I have a daughter, her first or middle name will be Eowyn. I love the way the name sounds. The suffix "wyn" means joy in Old English, and "Eo" means horse, representing the importance of horses to the Rohirrim. Eowyn is the strongest female character in Lord of the Rings, even more so than Arwen or Galadriel. She takes action into her own hands, in love and war. That's a legacy I'd want my kid to have.

2. Galadriel from LOTR

Galadriel is such a beautiful name, in Elvish (specifically Sindarin), it means "maiden crowned with a radiant garland." I might give a daughter this name, although I've thought of having a dog named Galadriel for a long time too.

3. Madeleine L'Engle

I would love to name a girl Madeleine after Madeleine L'Engle, author of some of my favorite books.

4. Meg Murray

I might also name a girl Margaret after Meg Murry in L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time.

5. Hermione Granger from Harry Potter

I suspect this name has grown much more popular in the past few years. It's a very unique girl's name that refers back to antiquity and to Shakespeare. The most recent incarnation of Hermione as a savvy, brilliant young woman would be a great image for a young girl to live up to.

6. Samwise Gamgee from LOTR

Sam is probably my favorite character in the LOTR canon (competing with Eowyn and Gandalf). Sam is loyal to the end, he has a great sense of wonder, and he is the only one of the characters that is able to willingly give up the Ring. A name like "Samwise" is both earthy and different. A boy could still go by "Sam," but he'd have this secretly awesome real name.

7. Anne from Anne of Green Gables

It could only be Anne with an "e"! Or maybe I'd even venture to name a girl Cordelia.

8. Emily from Emily of New Moon

I absolutely love the name Emily for a girl and always have (drat its being so popular!), but Emily of New Moon is a character that I heavily identify with and I feel like a child named after her couldn't help but be elfin and ethereal, not to mention talented.

9. William Shakespeare

William is a fine name and being called after the Bard couldn't hurt any child's chances of being a brilliant playwright, right? "Shakespeare" is also a good name for a cat or dog, it sounds very dignified.

10. Elizabeth I or Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice

Though technically not a literary character, Elizabeth I has appeared in numerous plays, poems, and works of fiction over the centuries, besides having been a poet herself. If that's unacceptable, I'll offer another favorite Elizabeth, Jane Austen's sparkling, witty heroine who far outshines the dour prideful Darcy as far as I'm concerned. A daughter named after either of these couldn't help but be a brave, self-sufficient woman. Plus, Elizabeth, while a strong name itself, offers so many adorable nicknames...

Comments

Linda said…
Madeleine was my favorite name when I was a child for the same reason. Wonderful list!

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...