Skip to main content

May Wrap-Up

Books Read In May

  1. Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
  2. The Hellfire Club by Jake Tapper
  3. You Think It, I'll Say It by Curtis Sittenfeld
  4. Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
  5. Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading by Maureen Corrigan
  6. Black and Blue by Anna Quindlen
  7. You Are a Badass at Making Money by Jen Sincero
  8. League of Dragons by Naomi Novik (Temeraire #9)
  9. America's First Daughter by Stephanie Dray and Laura Kamoie

Thoughts:

I've been procrastinating on posting my May list because I wasn't especially blown away by any one or two of the books this month, although I appreciated aspects of several. 
  • I was really looking forward to Children of Blood and Bone. I loved the sample opening chapter, and I ended up enjoying the book. I especially enjoyed the concept of the maji and the structure of the world with the gods: the mythology was a definite strong point. I also really loved the character of Amara and how she's unexpectedly strong but also just fun, and I enjoyed both of the love stories in this book and realistic tension between characters. However, I think I was disappointed because the three teenage perspectives felt a little more narrow than I was expecting. I would consider reading the next book, because it does end in an intriguing place that has potential to add more to the story, but maybe wait to buy the paperback. 
  • Wicked Lovely was a surprise since I ended up liking it better than I expected. It's in a genre, urban fantasy, that I don't read that much. I picked it up because I was just looking for any audiobook from the library that I thought might amuse me. I also don't read about the fae that much. Oddly, I feel like that's more of a trend in urban than epic fantasy? At first, it seemed like it was going to be one of those annoying Chosen One tropes with a love triangle which the biggest supernatural jerk would win. However, I loved the way this book turned that trope completely on its head and wove a deeper, more meaningful story about making destiny work for you and making a third choice from two inalienable options. Very cool story featuring female empowerment, and I would consider reading the next one. Again though, I really appreciated parts of it rather than the book as a whole, if that makes sense. Some of it was just very obvious, which I get sets up the less obvious bits, so... I don't know.
  •  You Are a Badass at Making Money was an amusing, empowering read. The first time I looked at it, I thought it wasn't practical enough, but going back in a more "woo woo, Zen" mood, it was what I needed to feel better about money and abundance in my life, so recommend it if you're in that kind of mood. Pairs well with Brene Brown. 
  • America's First Daughter was impeccably well researched, so if you're interested in the nitty gritty of Thomas Jefferson's life, this was really an interesting way to view it through the perspective of his daughter. Also, a lot about Patsy Jefferson's life that I didn't know, some scandalous, some sad. It worked better as a history lesson than a novel, but that (mostly) worked for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge