Skip to main content

May Wrap-Up

Books Read In May

  1. Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
  2. The Hellfire Club by Jake Tapper
  3. You Think It, I'll Say It by Curtis Sittenfeld
  4. Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
  5. Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading by Maureen Corrigan
  6. Black and Blue by Anna Quindlen
  7. You Are a Badass at Making Money by Jen Sincero
  8. League of Dragons by Naomi Novik (Temeraire #9)
  9. America's First Daughter by Stephanie Dray and Laura Kamoie

Thoughts:

I've been procrastinating on posting my May list because I wasn't especially blown away by any one or two of the books this month, although I appreciated aspects of several. 
  • I was really looking forward to Children of Blood and Bone. I loved the sample opening chapter, and I ended up enjoying the book. I especially enjoyed the concept of the maji and the structure of the world with the gods: the mythology was a definite strong point. I also really loved the character of Amara and how she's unexpectedly strong but also just fun, and I enjoyed both of the love stories in this book and realistic tension between characters. However, I think I was disappointed because the three teenage perspectives felt a little more narrow than I was expecting. I would consider reading the next book, because it does end in an intriguing place that has potential to add more to the story, but maybe wait to buy the paperback. 
  • Wicked Lovely was a surprise since I ended up liking it better than I expected. It's in a genre, urban fantasy, that I don't read that much. I picked it up because I was just looking for any audiobook from the library that I thought might amuse me. I also don't read about the fae that much. Oddly, I feel like that's more of a trend in urban than epic fantasy? At first, it seemed like it was going to be one of those annoying Chosen One tropes with a love triangle which the biggest supernatural jerk would win. However, I loved the way this book turned that trope completely on its head and wove a deeper, more meaningful story about making destiny work for you and making a third choice from two inalienable options. Very cool story featuring female empowerment, and I would consider reading the next one. Again though, I really appreciated parts of it rather than the book as a whole, if that makes sense. Some of it was just very obvious, which I get sets up the less obvious bits, so... I don't know.
  •  You Are a Badass at Making Money was an amusing, empowering read. The first time I looked at it, I thought it wasn't practical enough, but going back in a more "woo woo, Zen" mood, it was what I needed to feel better about money and abundance in my life, so recommend it if you're in that kind of mood. Pairs well with Brene Brown. 
  • America's First Daughter was impeccably well researched, so if you're interested in the nitty gritty of Thomas Jefferson's life, this was really an interesting way to view it through the perspective of his daughter. Also, a lot about Patsy Jefferson's life that I didn't know, some scandalous, some sad. It worked better as a history lesson than a novel, but that (mostly) worked for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...