Skip to main content

My Top (More Than) Ten Auto-Buy Authors

My Top Ten  Fifteen Auto Buy Authors

Classics:

1. Jane Austen

2. Louisa May Alcott

3. L.M. Montgomery

I will read anything by these authors. Although I started with and loved their best-known works (Pride and PrejudiceLittle Women, and Anne of Green Gables, respectively), I find that I often love their more obscure works best. Persuasion is a melancholy gem, Rose in Bloom is probably the book I've reread the most times in my life, and L.M. Montgomery's short stories, like the collection The Road to Yesterday, are pitch-perfect miniatures of her larger novels (and often feature Anne cameos), not even to mention Emily of New Moon and her dreamy writerly ways. Reading the backlist of beloved classic authors, in my opinion, is one of the best ways to find new and sometimes stunningly apropos favorites at just the right moment.

Poetry:

4. Leigh Stein

If I see Leigh Stein's name on a poetry book, I'm buying it. So far, I've only had the chance once, with her achingly, brightly millenial collection Dispatch from the Future, but I eagerly anticipate further anachronistic revelations from her pen.

5. Adrienne Rich

I got turned onto the Dream of a Common Language by Cheryl Strayed in Wild, and then I found Diving into the Wreck in a Little Free Library. Adrienne Rich is now definitely an auto-buy for me.

6. Mary Oliver

I'd read Mary Oliver snippets spread across the Internet for a while before I took one of her collections, Blue Iris, out of the library. After reading aloud to my dogs, I went out and purchased her collected volume.

Contemporary

7. Jen Lancaster

8. David Lebovitz

Lancaster and Lebovitz are both guaranteed to make me laugh with the woes of their contemporary memoirs. Bitter is the New Black and The Sweet Life in Paris are both constant rereads for me, and ever since, I've begun a collection of their works. I think I have at least two or three from each now.

9. Amy Tan

Every Amy Tan book I read is better than the last! I really relate to her blend of family drama, cultural exploration, and myth...and it's funny, but her best known The Joy Luck Club is actually my least favorite of hers, which just goes to show that if you like a book, you should always read the backlist.
Cookbooks:

10. Smitten Kitchen (Deb Perlman)

I've been following Smitten Kitchen's blog for...eleven years?! ever since i became a blogger and way before either of her kids (written or otherwise) were born. I've got both Smitten Kitchen cookbooks and would happily acquire another.

11. Anne Byrn

I fell in love with American Cake so much that I immediately required American Cookie.  I'll peruse Anne Byrn's histories of baked goods any day.

Fantasy/YA:


12. Naomi Novik
13. Maggie Stiefvater
14. Suzanne Collins
15. Rae Carson

All these novelists (except Collins of course) are relatively recent must-reads for me. I flew through the Raven Cycle last month while I winged through the nine Temeraire books in the past several months. I think I've read all of Novik's oeuvre since getting introduced to her last year. I purchased the Girl of Fire and Thorns and read the whole trilogy in a haze a couple years ago and while I have yet to read Carson's other books, I wouldn't hesitate to buy them (once I'm, er, letting myself buy books again). And Collins...I heard she's coming out with a new book, so since I couldn't get enough of The Hunger Games, I'm prepared to be devastated as well as broke.

Comments

Wendi Lee said…
Great list! Mine includes Maggie Stiefvater as well, I love the Raven cycle!
Judy Krueger said…
Lots of my favorites are on this list!
Lydia said…
Mary Oliver was an amazing poet. I was so sad to hear of her death last year.

My TTT.

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge