Skip to main content

Top Five Most Vivid Worlds/Settings in Books

Welcome to today's Top Ten Tuesday!

1. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Whatever else can be said about her writing, not many can match J.K. Rowling for detail. Her creative settings, as much as her relatable characters, are what make her works so engrossing. I remember having a strong obsession with Diagon Alley, and my writing class students often choose Hogwarts or King's Cross Station or the Forbidden Forest for their setting description assignments, because these places are already so vivid in their minds that they can elaborate where she left off.

2. Middle Earth

As a dedicated student and instructor of Middle Earth Geography (yes, this really happened), I would be remiss not to include Middle Earth. No one accuses Tolkien of skimping on description, and the maps add a whole other dimension that thousands of later fantasy books have aped, mostly to lesser effect.

3. Dune

Whether it's the desert planet Arrakis (a.k.a. Dune) itself, the Harkonnen home world, the water world Caladan, Chapterhouse, or the various other planets in Frank Herbert's universe, every 'thopter, every sandworm, every melange trip, feels visceral.

4. The Winter Palace

The setting is the name of the book, so it's no surprise that the palace, and its predecessor, are stars. The whole building symbolizes the extravagance, and corruption, that lies at the heart of the Russian court.

5. Eternal Sky

Each kingdom in Elizabeth Bear's new trilogy has its own distinct terrain, fitted to the people and method of governing, and so crucial that mountain-dwelling Samarkar feels stifled under Temur's sky, which he likewise can barely breathe without.

I'm tired and that's it for today, folks.

In other news, I've finished Ian Tregellis' The Coldest War , sent for review from Tor publishers. That review should be up shortly. In the meantime, I've stalled on School of Night in favor of re-reading for the class I'm teaching and travel magazines for currently futile travel plans, but excellent daydreams.

Comments

Tanya Patrice said…
Awesome picks. I've only read Harry Potter from your list, and loved the World building.
Amy said…
Yes, Dune, absolutely! I thought about including it on my list, but it's been so long since I read it that I couldn't remember a lot of detail. But the desert planet, Arrakis, and its bleak harshness, has stuck with me.

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...