Skip to main content

Top Ten Best Bookish Memories

This week's Top Ten Tuesday is "Top Ten Best Bookish Memories (waiting in line for a new release, meeting an author, or some sort of great experience with a particular book that was unlike others)."

1. The First Time I Went to a Harry Potter Midnight Release

It was for the fifth Harry Potter book, Order of the Phoenix, and my mom had ordered copies for my sister and me. When it was time to go, my sister decided she was too tired, but my little brother begged to come along. At that time, he could barely even read, but staying up till midnight was an opportunity not to be missed!

We waited in line at Borders (so sad!) and there were people passing out HP themed bookmarks and candies. My brother was totally impressed and was so well behaved that my mom decided to give him the book she'd set aside for my sister. The next day, my brother asked me to read it to him, so I started with the first Harry Potter book. He loved it and I was reading him Harry Potter for the next seven years!

2. Reading Harry Potter With My Brother

This kind of stems from the post before, but reading Harry Potter together was a great experience for both of us, it encouraged him to learn to read and it gave me someone to talk about Harry Potter with and we've even branched out to other books as well.

3. Reading Harry Potter at Camp

I was the first person in my cabin to receive the fourth book in the mail and I remember sitting on the porch reading as my cabinmates watched jealously. Soon, everyone received their copies and we had lots of fun discussing it!

4. Discussing Harry Potter at Work

The summer that the seventh book came out, I was working at a science camp, and the other teachers and I had one hour alone together for lunch. I'm pretty sure we discussed Harry Potter every single one of those lunches, it was one thing we all had in common.

5.Discussing LOTR at Work

The first summer that I got to help teach a workshop on modern fantasy for kids was especially awesome because every morning, the teacher I was working with and I would "prepare for class" with lengthy discussions on Lord of the Rings.

6. The Last Time I Went to a Harry Potter Midnight Release

I went to the bookstore (my brother came too) and ran into so many people I knew. We all had a good cry.

7. Getting a Letter from Elie Wiesel

When I read Night in 10th grade, I was deeply moved and wrote a long letter to Mr. Wiesel. Almost exactly a year later, I received a personal reply that I treasure to this day. I recently got to see him speak and am thinking of writing him again.

8. Meeting Margaret George

A year and a half or so ago, I got to meet Margaret George at the National Book Festival. She signed my book and I even got to chat with her for a bit. I was so excited, I hope I didn't scare her!

9. Meeting Gregory Maguire

I'm taking a little bit of leeway with the term "meet," I didn't personally get to talk to him. But I was in the front row watching him speak at the National Book Festival in 2011 and he was so entertaining! He also did a wonderful reading from his latest book, Out of Oz.

10. Receiving My First ARC

I felt like I'd finally "made it" as a book reviewer when I got my first free book to review!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge