Skip to main content

Best Bookish Memories Continued

As my last post elicited some objections from those who shall remain nameless, I would like to explain that my "top ten" posts generally consist of whatever first comes to mind and does not mean that there are not multiple other items equally worthy of inclusion. In order to rectify some oversights, then, I present a continued list of My Best Bookish Memories:

1. Reading The Chronicles of Narnia with my Dad

Predating my reading of the Harry Potter books to my brother, my dad and I read this fantasy series together. I remember liking that I had read the books before he did, and getting to share them with him.

2. My Mom Reading the Laura Ingalls Wilder books to me

Before I could read, my mom read me all of the Little House on the Prairie books (and dad subbed in a few times too). Definitely one of many incentives to learn to read in my household.

3. Picking Out a Book for my Sister the Day She Was Born

I stayed with my aunt that night and I remember she took me to some kind of shop (the hospital gift shop, maybe?) on our way to see my new baby sister. She told me to pick out two books, one for me and one for my sister, which I did happily. I may even have "read" it to her too (this was before I could read but also before I knew I couldn't read).

4. Lots of My Relatives Used to Read to Me

Yeah, I do remember. You all had a hand in creating this book monster!

5. Reading to My Little Cousins

On a few occasions, I've had the opportunity to read to some of my much younger cousins and I always enjoy sharing that experience with them. I wish I could do that more often!

Comments

Anonymous said…
OK, that's more like it!

You know who

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...