Skip to main content

Top Ten Books Featuring Travel

I do enjoy a good travel book and there are many on my to-read list, but here are some of my favorites so far! Top Ten Tuesdays are over at the Broke and the Bookish.

1. A Taste of Adventure by Anik See

2. What Katy Did Next by Susan Coolidge

It's a kids' book, but it introduced me to Nice, Rome, Naples, and other places I want to go someday.

3. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

Paris to Pamplona...(and Lady Brett Ashley to boot).

4. Logavina Street by Barbara Demick

She stays in one place the whole time, but learning about Sarajevo during the Bosnian War was really fascinating. I didn't know much about Czechoslovakian history before (not that I do now, but I know more than I did).

5. People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks

Speaking of Sarajevo, this fictional book traces the movement of the Sarajevo Haggadah in time AND place.

6 A Year in the World by Frances Mayes

She is such a beautiful writer and I'm kind of jealous of the apparent wealth that lets her have all these amazing travel experiences.

7 Daisy Miller by Henry James

Fueling my desire to travel to Vevey, Switzerland. And Rome.

8 The Alhambra by Washington Irving

I read this before I went to the Alhambra. Just a wonderful account of the stories and legends of Moorish Spain.

9 The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer

All about the pilgrimage...

10. Rings of Saturn by W.G. Sebald

One man's (mental) walking tour of England...

Comments

Jade said…
I haven't read any of these on your list. Unique picks!
Becky LeJeune said…
Ah! CANTERBURY TALES - it's like the ultimate "travel" book. I totally missed that one.
I was looking at The Alhambra last night as I looked over my travel shelves. Great list of books.

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...