Skip to main content

December Wrap-Up

Books Read This Month
1. Throne of Jade by Naomi Novik (Temeraire Book#2)
2. Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience,and Finding Joy by Sheryl Sandberg and Adam Grant
3. Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman
4. The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert
5. American Cookie by Anne Byrn

Favorite Book This Month
Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman

Tess of the Road appears more quotidian than its fantastical forebears. Although set in the same world where the half-dragon Seraphina wins the day along with (some) tolerance for her kind, her fully human younger sister Tess finds less kindness. Like her namesake of the d'Urbervilles, Tess is led to ruin, and then left by her family to wither. Against the religious claptrap of her upbringing, Tess's journey rises to numinous in its sheer visceral earthiness. A poignant back massage precedes a divine revelation. A childish prank of mooning reveals a man's existential pain. Tess of the Road turns bodies and souls inside out (or outside in), creating a contradictory tense mirroring the grammar of Tess's friends, the draconid quigutl. Tess's road doesn't end with her quest, and her quest doesn't end with a road. The familiar melancholy that pervades Tess's story somehow becomes what makes it Hartman's most fantastical yet.



Blog Posts This Month

1. November Wrap-Up

November and December were crazy busy for me, but I made sure to get the November wrap-up out!

2. Top Ten Favorite Books with Dragons

I've been really enjoying books with dragons lately, so I took advantage of the TTT freebie week.

Things Baked This Month (mostly straight from Smitten Kitchen's newsletter on holiday cookies)

1. Confetti cookies-These were probably the biggest success, easy to make, and a colorful hit!
2. Spicy gingerbread cookies
3. Linzer cookies-I wanted to make the traditional ones with raspberry jam instead of Smitten Kitchen's Nutella recipe
4. Jam thumbprint cookies
5. Sugar cookies from American Cookie!
6. Orange cranberry breakfast buns--making these for New Year's this year; did a test batch yesterday (Dec. 30th).

Links I Liked This Month

1. 2018 Is An Investment Year for Cookbooks--I agree!

2. I wasn't the only one thinking about books with dragons this month--more dragon series for me to read!

3. Harry Potter and the Secret Gay Love Story- Via the REWM. 

Comments

Danny Winters said…
Thank youu for sharing this

Popular posts from this blog

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...