Skip to main content

November Wrap-Up

Books I Read This Month

1. Uprooted by Naomi Novik
2. His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik (Temeraire Book#1)
3. Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens' Agenda by Becky Albertalli
4. Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli
5. Commonwealth by Ann Patchett
6. Worlds Seen in Passing: 10 Years of Tor.com Short Fiction, edited by Irene Gallo

Some definite trends here, as I stocked up on reads from favorite authors this past year and before, plus some YA books.

Favorite Book This Month
For the first time, I did have a hands-down favorite this month!


His Majesty's Dragon is basically Horatio Hornblower with dragons, and it's AMAZING. I started reading parts aloud to my husband, and he told me to stop---because he wanted to read it for himself. I've already got the second book out of the library and I'm super excited because there are nine books out in the series. I love coming into a brand new (to me) series where I can just read the whole thing straight through! It's very different from her more recent books, Uprooted and Spinning Silver, which I feel like got a lot more attention, but in my opinion, just as good in a different way if you can get into books set in the British Royal Navy/Air Force during the Napoleonic wars (which, you should).

Things I Baked This Month
1. I got obsessed with Smitten Kitchen's Sunken Black Forest Cake, but I know from past experience that the two of us won't finish a whole cake (even one layer) by ourselves, and I hate throwing food away. So, instead, I reprised my favorite mini molten chocolate cakes (I bake them in muffin tins) and added Smitten Kitchen's cherry preserve topping, with apple cider vinegar since I didn't have any lemon juice or kirsch. They were delicious and we (okay, mostly I) ate them all!

2. Atlantic Beach Pie
I saw this article shortly before Thanksgiving, so I went ahead and made this and it was a surprise Thanksgiving hit!

3. Root Vegetable Hand Pies

I originally intended to make Smitten Kitchen's root vegetable gratin, but a different set of root vegetables were available at my grocery store, so I got parsnips and turnips instead, in addition to potato, and then, since I was already off recipe, I made it into hand pies, with this crust, which I'd been meaning to use again. Then, I made another version later in the week that was a riff on this plus green bean casserole.  Basically, I had a lot of fun in the kitchen during Thanksgiving break!

Links I Liked This Month

1. A more hopeful take on What Really Happens After the Apocalypse

2. That Guy in Your MFA's 10 Rules for Novelists

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...