Skip to main content

December Wrap-Up

Books Read This Month

  1. Front Stoops in the Fifties: Baltimore Legends Come of Age by Michael Olesker
  2. Embrace Your Weird by Felicia Day
  3. The 100 Most Jewish Foods, Ed. Alana Newhouse
  4. The Bookish Life of Nina Hill by Abbi Waxman
  5. The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (reread)
  6. The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman (reread)
Thoughts 


First, I want to highly, highly recommend Embrace Your Weird by Felicia Day. I've been a fan of hers since watching the Guild and I also read her memoir, You're (Almost)Never Weird on the Internet. My husband is also a huge fan of hers and we used to watch a lot of Geek & Sundry, and that's how he got into Critical Role. My husband actually got this for me. I didn't even know she had a new book out. The promotion for this one has been much more low-key, but I want to shout it from the rooftops! This is such a fun book, or really, a guided journal. Although it's meant to help jumpstart creativity, which it definitely does, I personally found it helpful on a therapeutic level. It's like therapy in book form, and deals especially with issues like anxiety, but really, anything that creatives might struggle with that gets in the way of them and their work or having fun. This is really for anyone who wants to do anything creative for any reason or is just looking for stress-relief. It's low-pressure, quirky, and relaxing in an active way. I recommend buying this along with a nice pencil or two. I actually ended up using colored pencils for some of the drawing prompts, but it's totally up to you!

Second, the His Dark Materials series, starting with The Golden Compass, were among my favorite books as a kid. I remember finding The Subtle Knife in my school library, and then the long wait until The Amber Spyglass came out. I was eager to see HBO's new His Dark Materials television series, which I loved, but I wanted to reread the books to see how accurate the show was. After finishing the first two books, the show, which covers the first book and the first chapter or so of the second book is not only riveting but extremely close to the source material. I'm enjoying this reread immensely; it has been so many years, I have forgotten a lot. It's also nice to see that even though they are children's books, they really hold up to an adult reading. Also, luckily for me, the second book in Philip Pullman's new series on Lyra, The Secret Commonwealth, is out, and I got a copy for Hanukkah, so I can read that next!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...