Skip to main content

TCL's Eight Candles Book Tag

Join TCL's Eight Candles Book Tag over at The Chocolate Lady!

TCL's Eight Candles Book Tag in Honor of Hanukkah

Happy Hanukkah/Chanukah/Hannukah! The first night starts tonight!

  • First Candle – All Alone – A book you love, but one that no one else seems to know anything about. ðŸ•¯️

  • Second Candle – Two of You – A book both you, and someone special to you, have both really enjoyed. ðŸ•¯️🕯️ When we first started dating, I got my husband to read this :-)

  • Third Candle – Trifecta – A book where there is either a love (or hate) triangle, or with three different points of view, or something else related to the number three. ðŸ•¯️🕯️🕯️ There are three points of view in The Other Queen: the eponymous Mary, Queen of Scots; Bess of Hardwick; and Bess's husband, George Talbot, the Earl of Shrewsbury. The latter two are charged with holding the Queen of Scots under house imprisonment for Elizabeth I, but Mary may be trying to seduce the Earl to her side. 

  • Fourth Candle – Foregone Conclusion – A book that you read that you knew you’d like or dislike before you began reading. ðŸ•¯️🕯️🕯️🕯️ I already knew that I liked N. K. Jemisin, plus a friend whose reading tastes I usually agree with recommended it. 

  • Fifth Candle – Five-Day Work Week – A book that you felt reading it was hard work, but you were glad you kept at it and finished reading it. ðŸ•¯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️ I enjoyed this one...it's been a while since I challenged myself this much. 

  • Sixth Candle – The Extra Sense – A book that scared you, worried you, or that was edgy or spooky in some way (doesn’t have to be a paranormal book). ðŸ•¯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️ The madwoman in the attic never ceases to scare me!

  • Seventh Candle – All Colors of the Rainbow – A book that just thinking about, makes you feel hopeful or happy, like seeing a rainbow after the rain. Alternatively, tell us about an LGBTQA+ book you like. (Which might be the same thing!) ðŸ•¯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️ David Lebovitz always makes me laugh!

  • Eighth Candle – Complete Miracle – A book that made you say “WOW” when you’d finished reading it. ðŸ•¯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️
This was a truly special, well-thought-out, and magical book.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...