Skip to main content

2020 Bookish and Not So Bookish Goals

2020-Bookish Goals

1. Read at least 60 books

Last year, I read 89 books, the most I've read in a year in my entire adult life, but I had an unusual year job-wise, and I'm not sure what this year holds for me in that direction, so I want to keep my reading manageable and fun.

2. Reread old favorites and books I have more to learn from

Towards the end of 2019/beginning of 2020, I reread Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy and enjoyed it so much. It's probably been at least fifteen years since I read it in full and it was still compelling and thoughtful as an adult. The past few years, I've been focusing a lot on new releases and chugging through new-to-me books, but I'm feeling it's time to go back and reread those books that are really meaningful to me. I don't have particular titles in mind, but I want to make more deliberate space for rereading this year.

3. Continue participating in book clubs

Last year, I joined a book club for the first time and liked it so much that I ended up joining three of them. I'm looking forward to continuing to participate this year!

4. Borrow books from the library, or if I must, buy used books or Kindle deals only

2020-Not So Bookish Goals

1. Finish writing the novel that I started for NaNoWriMo 2019

2. Participate in a writing group

I participated in a NaNoWriMo-specific writing group, and have leads for a couple of potential offshoots from that hopefully starting in January...

3. Be kind to myself and others

Comments

Lydia said…
Good luck with your goals!
Judy Krueger said…
Great goals! I share many of them. In fact, I have curtailed my blogging to make more time for reading and writing. I wish you well with your writing. Reading groups are my favorite form of social life these days for intelligent conversation. I am in 6! Though three of those only meet bi-monthly.
Wow, Judy, six reading groups is impressive! I thought I was going overboard with three!

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...