Skip to main content

Serenity Now: Anxiety Relief in the Days of COVID19

Honestly? I'm scared. Not so much that I will get COVID19 as that I don't know what will happen next. I'm anxious about my students and their families. I'm anxious about the fact that one of my jobs is hourly work and if I don't work, I won't get paid. I'm anxious about the fact that I don't even know if or when I'm supposed to go in to work tomorrow.  I'm not jazzed about being isolated either. But of course I understand and want to do everything I can to support public health. Here are some things I'm doing, with more or less success, to relieve my anxiety:

1. Watching Star Trek

Like, all the Treks. My husband and I are keeping up with Star Trek: Picard (loved the last episode's much needed background on Rios), plus watching various episodes of TNG, Voyager, and DS9 both together and separately. Star Trek is like comfort food for us.

2. Watching Queer Eye

I've been rewatching select episodes of Queer Eye, although my Netflix keeps driving me toward S2, E1, which, like, I've seen it, I promise?

3. Playing with playdoh

Having something to do with my hands while I'm doing all this streaming seems to help too. I mostly just use it like a stress ball, but I like the texture better than a stress ball or slime or anything else similar.

4. Mindfulness Puzzles

I bought this awhile ago, but started using it more lately, usually before bed. It's a good way to wind down without looking at a screen and engage enough to get mentally tired (read: less anxious). The funny thing is I can only do two of the puzzle types, wordsearches and reverse crosswords (you have the words but need to guess where they go), so I have to search the whole thing looking for the ones I can do. I tried Sudoku, but man, it is the worst. Maybe I'll finish one someday.

5. Meditation Music

I've been a little obsessed for a while with the relaxing music on Youtube, like this. I'm also pretty into the classical piano music. 

6.  HelloFresh

We tried out a free box last week, and I'm a fan. We had three fulfilling vegetarian meals for two, each of which took about 30 minutes to prepare. They do seem to have an obsession with quick pickling, which I like in principle, but doesn't really work that well in 30 minutes. The chickpea tacos were the best, in my opinion, and now I have a new idea for a satisfying vegetarian taco filling.

7. Reading

Of course, this is a book blog! I've been reading The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay for a while, which was a read for one of my (canceled) book clubs. It isn't a book I'd ever heard of, but it was an interesting read about a young boy growing up in South Africa in the 1940s. It has a problematic white savior trope, but still interesting and well-written. When I finished that a couple days ago, I reached for comfort--I had a new Jen Lancaster book on my TBR shelf, Pretty in Plaid, and she always makes me laugh out loud. Read it in a day. If you want to laugh, I highly recommend anything by Jen Lancaster.

I worry about how everyone is dealing with this. I want to do anything I can to help the community. I hope you're doing okay and staying safe and some of these ideas or other things are helpful to you. I'm trying to remind myself: it's okay if the person you save is you.

Comments

Judy Krueger said…
My husband and I and all my extended family and all the people I personally know are well. Anxious for the same reasons but not sick. I don't know what I would do without books at any time, but now for sure! Stay well and thanks for the tips on what you are doing.

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge