Skip to main content

Serenity Now: Anxiety Relief in the Days of COVID19

Honestly? I'm scared. Not so much that I will get COVID19 as that I don't know what will happen next. I'm anxious about my students and their families. I'm anxious about the fact that one of my jobs is hourly work and if I don't work, I won't get paid. I'm anxious about the fact that I don't even know if or when I'm supposed to go in to work tomorrow.  I'm not jazzed about being isolated either. But of course I understand and want to do everything I can to support public health. Here are some things I'm doing, with more or less success, to relieve my anxiety:

1. Watching Star Trek

Like, all the Treks. My husband and I are keeping up with Star Trek: Picard (loved the last episode's much needed background on Rios), plus watching various episodes of TNG, Voyager, and DS9 both together and separately. Star Trek is like comfort food for us.

2. Watching Queer Eye

I've been rewatching select episodes of Queer Eye, although my Netflix keeps driving me toward S2, E1, which, like, I've seen it, I promise?

3. Playing with playdoh

Having something to do with my hands while I'm doing all this streaming seems to help too. I mostly just use it like a stress ball, but I like the texture better than a stress ball or slime or anything else similar.

4. Mindfulness Puzzles

I bought this awhile ago, but started using it more lately, usually before bed. It's a good way to wind down without looking at a screen and engage enough to get mentally tired (read: less anxious). The funny thing is I can only do two of the puzzle types, wordsearches and reverse crosswords (you have the words but need to guess where they go), so I have to search the whole thing looking for the ones I can do. I tried Sudoku, but man, it is the worst. Maybe I'll finish one someday.

5. Meditation Music

I've been a little obsessed for a while with the relaxing music on Youtube, like this. I'm also pretty into the classical piano music. 

6.  HelloFresh

We tried out a free box last week, and I'm a fan. We had three fulfilling vegetarian meals for two, each of which took about 30 minutes to prepare. They do seem to have an obsession with quick pickling, which I like in principle, but doesn't really work that well in 30 minutes. The chickpea tacos were the best, in my opinion, and now I have a new idea for a satisfying vegetarian taco filling.

7. Reading

Of course, this is a book blog! I've been reading The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay for a while, which was a read for one of my (canceled) book clubs. It isn't a book I'd ever heard of, but it was an interesting read about a young boy growing up in South Africa in the 1940s. It has a problematic white savior trope, but still interesting and well-written. When I finished that a couple days ago, I reached for comfort--I had a new Jen Lancaster book on my TBR shelf, Pretty in Plaid, and she always makes me laugh out loud. Read it in a day. If you want to laugh, I highly recommend anything by Jen Lancaster.

I worry about how everyone is dealing with this. I want to do anything I can to help the community. I hope you're doing okay and staying safe and some of these ideas or other things are helpful to you. I'm trying to remind myself: it's okay if the person you save is you.

Comments

Judy Krueger said…
My husband and I and all my extended family and all the people I personally know are well. Anxious for the same reasons but not sick. I don't know what I would do without books at any time, but now for sure! Stay well and thanks for the tips on what you are doing.

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...