Skip to main content

Books That Conjure Up Happy Memories

Happy Top Ten Tuesday! I'm trying to get back in the swing. This one is asking for a bit more work than usual since I can't just pull up Goodreads, which I've only had as an adult. I do still have some of these on the shelves at least.

Books That Conjure Up Happy Memories
  1.  The Source by James Michener-- Going to Barnes & Noble with my grandpa who wanted to pick out this book for me since he thought I would enjoy it (he was right)
  2. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares--My friend lending me the first 2 books at camp
  3. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis--Reading these aloud with my dad
  4. The books by she who must not be named--Reading these aloud with my brother
  5. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle--Finding this in the children's section of a library I went to as a kid
  6. The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler--Reading this as a kid, teaching it as an adult, and sharing with other adults who appreciated it in one of my book clubs
  7. Last Day on Mars by Kevin Eerson--My husband taking me to a bookstore on a trip and picking this out for me
  8. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline--Buddy reading this with my now-husband--we also saw the movie together
  9. Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder--My mom reading this aloud to me
  10. Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli--My grandpa buying this for my birthday

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...