Skip to main content

Speculative Fiction That Feels Too Close for Comfort

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl!

Honestly, I'm not sure if I would want to read any of these for the first time right now, but as I can't keep my mind off the pandemic, here are several speculative fiction books that deal with either pandemics or other forms of apocalypse.

Top Ten Speculative Fiction Books That Feel Too Close for Comfort

  1. Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
  2. Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler
  3. Parable of the Talents by Octavia Butler (sequel to above)
  4. Dawn by Octavia Butler
  5. The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin (#1 in the Broken Earth trilogy)
  6. The School of Night by Louis Bayard
  7. The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (#2 in the MaddAddam trilogy)
  8. Empire of Ivory by Naomi Novik (#4 in the Temeraire series)
  9. The Weight of Ink by Rachel Kadish
  10. Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks





The School of Night, The Weight of Ink, and Year of Wonders are all fictional interpretations of the historical plague, taking place in London or other parts of England. 

Station Eleven and The Year of the Flood take place in the aftermath of pandemics in imagined futures. Station Eleven specifically is a counter-intuitively relaxing read, and while Year of the Flood deals with some disturbing material, it can also be relaxing getting to know the two characters in their respective self-isolation. 

Empire of Ivory also deals with a pandemic, specifically among dragons, and while I would recommend reading the entire Temeraire series, Empire of Ivory is in many ways the moral crux of the books. And, yes, there is dragon quarantining, which has its own problems, as you can imagine. 

So, why the Octavia Butler books? Lauren Olamina's fractured and resource-strapped America in the
Parable books is too frightening an extrapolation of our own world now, and while a pandemic is not heavily featured, illness is treated in much the same way it is in some ways being today, that is, the vulnerable are expected to get on with it or procure their own resources to deal with their health. And why Dawn? Because, while I don't know of any aliens landing on Earth wanting to merge species lately, that also takes place in the aftermath of an apocalypse, after which humans are forced to confront a stark reality that we need to fundamentally alter our society in order to survive.


Comments

Lydia said…
Octavia Butler has some great stories, but I don't blame you for not wanting to start them at the moment.

My TTT .
P M Prescott said…
Interesting books, http://pmprescott.blogspot.com/2020/03/ttt-032420.html
Judy Krueger said…
I have read 5 of these and they have all taken up residence in my brain these days!
curlygeek04 said…
I definitely agree about Parable of the Sower. Even though it was written years ago it feels very relevant today. Butler writes in a way where you definitely feel like what she's writing about could happen. You've got great choices on this list even if now isn't the right time to read them.

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...