Skip to main content

Top Ten Reasons Why I Love The Tudors

I've been obsessed with Elizabeth I and her family since the seventh grade when I was browsing in my school library and came upon this book, Behind the Mask. I loved the idea of a powerful woman ruler, especially in a time and place when women were much more systemically oppressed. I also loved the idea that there was more to Elizabeth I than met the eye. She had to hide behind the mask she created for herself (actually many masks), the Virgin Queen, Astraea, Gloriana, the female prince with the heart and stomach of a king. I identified with the idea of creating and assuming identities and personas to protect yourself, being seen a certain way to outsiders, keeping everyone else on edge in order to survive. She was my entree into this world, and then I fell in love with the story of her mother, Anne Boleyn, also a clever and powerful woman, and all the many wives, daughters, and female relations of the notorious Henry VIII. In honor of Anne Boleyn, who was executed on this day, May 19, in 1536, here are ten reasons I love the Tudors.

1. The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

2. Behind the Mask: The Life of Queen Elizabeth I by Jane Thomas

I've already written above about how this book turned me on to the story of Elizabeth I and her family. Also, the cover of the book is the Rainbow Portrait, see below.

3. The Rainbow Portrait

The Rainbow Portrait of Elizabeth I is my favorite of the many glorious portraits of her. This one specifically depicts her as Gloriana. Also, you can see on the sleeve of her orange mantle, there are embroidered eyes and ears, implying that she sees and hears all.

4. Royal Diaries: Elizabeth I, Red Rose of the House of Tudor

Another Elizabeth I book I read as a kid and loved. Such a well imagined tale of Elizabeth's childhood and historically accurate in many respects, it only contributed to my interest.

5. Kenilworth by Sir Walter Scott

A nineteenth century masterpiece set in the Elizabeth era, around an Elizabethan mystery

6. The Maryland Renaissance Fair

Such a great event every year, and much of it centers on the Tudors, with actors playing Henry VIII and his wives and portraying scenes from the court throughout the Faire.

7. Elizabeth I's poem "On Monsieur's Departure"

"Since from myself another self I turned"--what a great line!

8. 'Freedom of Religion'

It didn't mean then what it means (or should mean) today, but Henry VIII's divorce from Catherine of Aragon and Elizabeth I's refusal to open windows in men's souls marked the very beginnings of (still quite intolerant) religious tolerance in Christian Europe.

9. The Heart and Stomach of a King

I mean, have you read this brilliant piece of rhetoric?

10. Strong Female Rulers Defying Stereotypes and Illustrating the Benefits of Being Single and/or Childless

This is what Elizabeth meant to me immediately, and though she's come to mean more, it was so empowering and incredible as a child to see an example of a powerful woman who was powerful in and of herself, even BECAUSE she was single and childless. It was such a helpful counter-narrative to a lot of what I saw around me.

Comments

Lydia said…
What a great list. Your reasons for loving the Tudors makes a lot of sense to me.

My TTT .
I love your enthusiasm for the Tudors. You make them sound so fun!
I'm going to have to add some of these to my tbr. Thanks for sharing!

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge